Oil gally plugs and bad mains.

boostingbuick

Going to be buried in this.
Well here we go again. So does the oil gally plugs too deep? Lost the bottom end. The mains look like they overheated. The worst part is we had a proshop build this. After we got the engine in it would hardly run, cam was installed wrong.:mad: Now 3,000 miles after that this. Now will this cause the mains to starve?

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 272
try this

Take the oil sendor fitting out of the block--see if you can run a 1/4 in. rod past the galley plug. Hard to tell from pics but looks TOO deep. Don't it just make you sick if that is the problem--such a simple mistake.
You need another empty block and do some measuring before the plug comes out.

that does look pretty deep, doesn't it. Here's a pic of what's behind the plug:
http://pages.prodigy.net/buickv6/CarStuff/behind plug unported1.JPG
the oil comes up from below and makes a 90 deg turn to go back down the gallery to mains and rods. With your plug being in that deep, I can see how it would restrict the oil flow going back there.

I'd take it back to the shop, show it to them, and tell them to make it right.

John

oh yeah, running a rod up from the oil pressure sender hole sounds like a great idea, but I don't think it is feasible. The oil comes along that passage and then turns up, where it would hit that plug, then turns back to go down the gallery. I think the rod will just hit the block and not show the clearance around the plug. If the rod was flexible and could turn upwards with the passage, then you'd be in business.

John

Yep...

Take the oil sendor fitting out of the block--see if you can run a 1/4 in. rod past the galley plug. Hard to tell from pics but looks TOO deep. Don't it just make you sick if that is the problem--such a simple mistake.
You need another empty block and do some measuring before the plug comes out.

If that's what actually happened, it's a well known problem. I had mine turned down, so they would still be tite, but clear the oil galleys..[Got them from Ruggles]
That engine didn't run 3000 mi if the galleys were 100% blocked off..
What kind of oil psi did you have?
1.If the flow was blocked, the pump was running over relief all the time..Oil temps must have been high...
2. If the mains were blocked, then the rods should look even worse. What do they look like?

I'd take it back to the shop, show it to them, and tell them to make it right.

John

Thats not really an option. It was built 2 years ago and been apart twice since then.

First time, it ate a Fram oil filter.

Second time, overheated.

This is the third. It spun a bearing.

I have had nothing but problems with the motor in this car. This will be motor #6.

This is just something else we found wrong that could have contributed to the previous problems.

-Andy

This is my motor that Mike is rebuilding for me. After 2 reputable shops screwed it up, I am not taking it to another shop.

I took out the sender and the brass fitting. I can shine a light down the #1 main and see the plug. It blocks about a third of the passage. Rods are not as bad as the main. The engine was shut off as soon as it made noise. I guess I will start fresh and check everything myself. Its funny, I built my engine in the garage and its still running, had this engine built by so called pro's and its been out twice.

That looks like it may be too deep. It seems like it would do more to starve the Right Side Lifters then to starve the Mains. Take a look at my thread. There are some pics that show a cleaning brush thru the passages in question here:
109 Build - TurboBuick.Com
Also, if you take the pressure from the usual spot, a blockage in the galley would probably show up as even more pressure on the gauge.