oil light on from the dash.....any ideas??

prturbo

Hey guys

I start the engine and the oil/choke light comes on and stays on. It sounds like oil is not getting to the head when the engine is running.

Can someone provide some input and or solutions to help me figure this out.

Thanks for any help!!

Eric

Hey guys

I start the engine and the oil/choke light comes on and stays on. It sounds like oil is not getting to the head when the engine is running.

Can someone provide some input and or solutions to help me figure this out.

Thanks for any help!!

Eric

Do you have an oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil pressure?

That sensor (if it is stock) will turn the light on in the dash if the oil pressure falls below 4 psi.... or so I am told....

If you have another oil pressure gauge showing good oil pressure... and the light is still on.... you have a sending unit malfunction... might need replacing.....

In either case.. I wouldn't run the car until you fix it...

HTH

I just put this motor in. It has 70k on it......could it be it has to build oil pressure from sitting to long? I can heir the lifters from the head and sounds super dry while its running

again any help would be great.

Thanks!

STOP!

You are going to trash your motor.

The reason for the noise.... is you probably don't have any oil pressure.

You need to find out why.....

You might need to prime your oil pump..... I've never done it.... but I understand it is commonplace to do after a rebuild... and get a oil pump drive tool so that you can turn the oil pump without turning the engine.

It almost sounds too late..... the damage could already be done.

Needed to spin the oil pump before fireing engine. You do this with a primeing tool. Have an oil presure gauge to read presure BEFORE starting engine. If the engine was run more than a few seconds than i would say check your bearings.