Oil pan gasket?

gn84guy

I have annoying leak from my oil pan...can I get enough clearance to change the gasket with the engine in, or should I just pull the engine and be done with it. Also my parts supplier says that there's a difference between the 84 and 85 oil pan gaskets?

Thanks

Some pans are 14 bolts, some are 20 bolts. Sometimes in 85 you had each. ;)

Pan can be dropped in car, easier if you drop exhaust crossover and transmission converter inspection cover

Late 85 had the 20 bolt pan. Use cork, it seals much better. I've never tried to do it in the car, seems like it would be too easy to mess the job up.

Actually it is easy I have done it several times in the past 2 or 3 months as I tried the stock gasket which leaked almost immediately then the felpro which leaked within 200 miles. Remove the crossover pipe, and the trans cover if you have one "I don't" . I can't stress enough to use a cork gasket, mine hasn't leaked since I put in the cork. The one issue is torqueing the bolts that are blocked by the crossmember. As far as putting it in thats easy, place the pan in position, then slide the gasket in and loosly put in bolts to line up the gasket. Once you have enough bolts in tighten them enough to loosley snug the gasket in place and put in the rest of the bolts. Then torque the bolts, there are 2 that will defy torqueing, best guess those. Takes about 2 hours including scapping the old crap off, BTW I did not use any sealer, just the gasket.

T