Oil pressure question

Turbo6Smackdown

Hey, what's your guys (stock block/internals) typical oil pressures, throughout the rpm range? I wanna hear what's out there, so I can compare it to what I'm gettin. I have a stock un opened block, with 72xxx miles on her. I got it with 69 (i have no idea how he treated her before me) and since then, the car has been babied.

Whaddya got.

I have 78xxx miles and I am getting around 20 psi at idle warmed up and over 60 under load.

87 gn's
1.(shop class project car--134k) 30psi warm idle and 55-60psi under load
2.(brother's car----89k) 20psi warm idle and 45-50psi under load

both unopen motor.....

sounds good (thank GOD lol) What do you guys mean 'under load'. Do you mean crusing at like 55 mph or so? Cuz mine is at 20 at idle, and around 60 while cruising.

These engines don't need alot of oil pressure, they don't rev high. My old 85 engine had 141,000 on it, and a clogged oil pick up. The gauge showed well below 5 at hot idle and just above just above 20 cruising with 15/50 oil. I put 30,000 miles on it like that, running mid 12's. The only reason I quit running that engine was a blown headgasket that rusted a cylinder over the winter. I pulled the bearings, and they had no wear. The car had nothing but Mobile 1 for years though. I think the factory spec is 20 psi at 2000rpm or something really low.

Ok, tell me this. My oil pressure used to be about around 59 or so while cruising at like say 50 mph. now, it's right at 50, while cruising at the same speed. This happened over a 3 day period, of running the car for about an hour each time. Any clues?

Ok, tell me this. My oil pressure used to be about around 59 or so while cruising at like say 50 mph. now, it's right at 50, while cruising at the same speed. This happened over a 3 day period, of running the car for about an hour each time. Any clues?

How recent have you changed it? I noticed, even with my daily driver, when it is almost due for an oil change the pressure drops a little. It must be losing viscousity.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'ts new oil. About a year old. (which, i get about a thousand miles a year on the car)

low oil pressure

I just bought this car & the motor purs.. but I'm watching the oil pressure & its under. 5psi . but hits over 20 when I get in it.

I've done alot of searching but couldnt find alot of answers, is there a way I can check it with out buying another gauge.

I just did an oil change & used synthetic 5w-30w should this be okay ?

is there a way I can check it with out buying another gauge?

YES, you can borrow someone's gauge...

REALLY--if you think you have an oil pressure problem (which it seems your gauge indicates you do)--you def need try another gauge (mechanical, for sure, to eliminate electrical gremlins/ gauge questions)...

mine does indeed jump with throttle response. i did add some zddp as well.

yeah it has quick response, when I touch the throttle.. I just switched to lucas race oil. 20-50w synthetic... oil pressure was @ 25 while @ idle.. Then gradually dropped down to below 5...

Bought the mechanical I'll post results after the install today..

cut open the oil filter to see if there is any brass/bronze particles in there. if there is it means your bearing are going south quit running the car till you can repair it