Oil Pressure Rises, then drops, then rises?

F8L WS6

Well the topic is basically to the point. I start the car up and the oil pressure rises to around 30 psi. Then it drops down to 0 real quick, I hear a tapping noise, and then the pressure rises way up to nearly 80 and I don't have a problem with oil pressure at all after that. Tapping noise also goes right away. Hot idle is around 25 psi. Driving around mostly at 40 psi until around 3k rpms it comes up to around 60.

Also something else really wierd. When I turn the key to the on position right before I turn it all the way to crank up. I leave it there and you can hear it sounds like something is spinning and making a scraping noise and then it stops.

Both of these problems have me confused. I tried a search but couldn't find anything. So if anyone can help that would be great. I don't even know where to start looking so any suggestions would help alot. Or if anyone can make a link to a post with a similar problem that would be great too.

All mods are listed in my sig. And I have been using 15W50 Mobil 1 in the motor. Also the Napa Wix oil filter.

Thanks in advance!

Which WIX filter? Does it cross-reference to a AC delco PF47 (short) or PF52 (long)? Those are the filters with anti-drainbacks. If your filter does not cross-reference to one of those filters then try changing your oil filter.

Just searched a whole bunch using different wording and came up with this link form Google.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?p=501563

I'm thinking the one kid may be right here. I checked on Wix site on the 1061R and it is not listed. However I looked up the 1060R and it is still listed. And does in fact have an Anti Drainback valve. Maybe the ones I have do not have the Anti Drainback. I will have to call Wix and check tomorrow I guess.

Thanks for the post, I think you nailed it.

Wix part number 51036 cross references to a PF52 (long) and 51040 crosses to a PF47 (short).

Is that filter (1060r) for a biggie oil filter adapter? If so and you don't have a biggie filter adapter, change the filter or buy the adapter.