Oil pressure won't rise

blacknight80

I drove my car to a show about 60 miles away and it ran normally and after I parked all day and headed home after a long line up leaving the town in hot weather I got on the highway and my oil pressure sat at 25-27 psi and regardless of throttle it didn't move. Idle was usually at 12 psi and now it's below 10. What could have happened? I didn't flog it or abuse it. I seen another post with the same issue but there wasnt a final answer to the problem. Would wore out main bearings cause this or worse a spun bearing? I have rotella 10-30 in it and it's fresh.

Thanks

Thanks

What kinda gauge are u using? Electrical?mechanical?double check your connections

Electrical auto meter. I'll check the connections. Are the senders known to conk out? The oil pressure light didnt come on the dash but that might happen at 2psi when its to late. Thanks for the help keep it coming lol.

Check with a mechanical, before you run any longer. I have a cheap one I bought @ oreilly in garage for this reason. couple feet of hose, throw it on their to double check or calibrate, every once in a while someone comes by with just a idiot light.

Ill do that. Sucky time to of the year to have to pull an engine if it's pooched. Has anyone seen Oil pressure max out at a certain psi from a spun bearing. I have only see it drop to 0.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ill do that. Sucky time to of the year to have to pull an engine if it's pooched. Has anyone seen Oil pressure max out at a certain psi from a spun bearing. I have only see it drop to 0.

I believe the gauge port is @ the end of the oil loop/run but could be mistaken. So if anything spins or drops wont make it to gauge? I could be mistaken. If not someone will chime in soon to correct me.

I would start with the simple things like verified oil level and gauge operation as already discussed. Another thing I've seen and heard about is the oil pickup screen getting clogged or the pickup tube bolts vibrating loose or the gasket being left out if your engine has been rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest causes of low oil pressure are excess oil clearance at the bearings and loose oil pumps. One big area for concern is the cam bearings. Especially the front one. Some blocks are looser than others on the cam bearing bores and sometimes coating the bearings to reduce oil clearance in that area is beneficial

I ran it today watching the gauge very closely and it now it responds as it should. I'm going to pick up a mechanical gauge for when it does it again and drop the oil and cut open the filter anyway. I thought maybe the temp was the driver but I let it get up to temp long enough to switch the fan 3 times and this should have been enough to get the oil heated and viscosity the same. I am hoping that if it's intermittent it can't be a mechanical failer. I'm hoping to get it out on a short trip next weekend closer to home to try and duplicate the scenario before I try a longer run and blow up far from home. I'll post some pics if I find anything nasty in the filter or sparkly oil.

Last edited:
I would start with the simple things like verified oil level and gauge operation as already discussed. Another thing I've seen and heard about is the oil pickup screen getting clogged or the pickup tube bolts vibrating loose or the gasket being left out if your engine has been rebuilt.

Good idea. I just did the pan gasket and the pick up appeared secure but the gasket could have a crack I suppose and the pick up was nice and clean.

What you describe is the plunger got stuck in it's bore for some reason.

The relieve spring that sets/controls your oil pressure is the reason.

The best way to watch for it is to either get a high end electric or manual oil gauge.

Sometimes it will cure itself and never happen again but it maybe only a warning.

Cut the filter open over a clean white towel. If nothing is found take the oil pump apart. make sure the piston slides freely and easily in the oil pump bore. Look at the spring that it is not broken or bent.

If you take the pump housing off, you will need to pack t with petroleum jelly to get it to pull oil again.

Last edited:
Some blocks are looser than others on the cam bearing bores

I had 1 w/ the lo oil syndrome. We looked everywhere, until I ran the light from 1 end of the cam tunnel, and saw light around the od of a brg.

What you describe is the plunger got stuck in it's bore for some reason.

The relieve spring that sets/controls your oil pressure is the reason.

The best way to watch for it is to either get a high end electric or manual oil gauge.

Sometimes it will cure itself and never happen again but it maybe only a warning.

Cut the filter open over a clean white towel. If nothing is found take the oil pump apart. make sure the piston slides freely and easily in the oil pump bore. Look at the spring that it is not broken or bent.

If you take the pump housing off, you will need to pack t with petroleum jelly to get it to pull oil again.
Thanks for the help. I'll watch it like a hawk and see what the filter shows me. I have an oil pump rebuild kit sitting in the garage and Chinese front cover that I should maybe get ready to swap out. How tough would it be to properly set up a pump while it's in the frame?

Thanks for the help. I'll watch it like a hawk and see what the filter shows me. I have an oil pump rebuild kit sitting in the garage and Chinese front cover that I should maybe get ready to swap out. How tough would it be to properly set up a pump while it's in the frame?

Oil Pump set up should be done BEFORE you install the cover on the engine. Although it can be done on the engine, it is much easier off.

BTW- I would get rid of the Chinese front cover.

Have you verified with another gauge? No matter what cold start should show more oil pressure.

Have you verified with another gauge? No matter what cold start should show more oil pressure.
I went out to check it the next day and it's back to normal. I took it out last night for a spin and it's still good. Smh. I'm still going to split the filter open and see what it shows. I'm thinking that the plunger was stuck. Let's hope it doesn't do it again.