Oil Pressure

thelhb

Turbo Newbie
I recently had my engine rebuilt. Since the re-build I have been using Mobile 1 10 -30
When the engine reaches operating temp (180 – 185 degrees) oil pressure drops to 10 psi at idle. Since I’ve only run synthetic oil since the re-build is this normal?

on a hot engine, oil pressure should be between 10-30 psi at idle, with 10 being about as low as you want to go. if you're uncomfortable with that number(i think i would be) you can either change the spring in the oil pump bypass, or switch to 20w50. that's what i run in all my engines. hope that helps.

I don't think the relief sping is going to change hot idle oil psi at 10 psi but will at cold start up, when oil is thick and at WOT. I can only see it helping at times when the oil psi is pegged, I'm I correct?

Here's 3 things I did to get my oil psi up when it was a little low w/ the new build.
**Installed the biggie oil filter adapter.
**Switched to 20-50 Val Race oil.
**Re-installed my oil cooler lines.
I pick up about 12 psi w/ changes above and now hot idle oil psi in gear is 30 psi, about 50 psi at a low rpm cruise and almost 70 psi at WOT.
If these changes had not gave me what I was looking for, I had planned to install a Melling's booster plate and last resort would have been a set of Melling's hi volume pump gears. Hope that helps.