Oil problem

mikewest_08

So long story short. I just finished building a 4.1 motor. All it has in a very small cam .30 over pistons 80 lbs inj 66/66 turbo and front mount. Fired it up and have no oil on the left side of the valve cover. We did prime the oil pump. We have oil on the right side. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows or has had this problem. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So long story short. I just finished building a 4.1 motor. All it has in a very small cam .30 over pistons 80 lbs inj 66/66 turbo and front mount. Fired it up and have no oil on the left side of the valve cover. We did prime the oil pump. We have oil on the right side. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows or has had this problem. Thanks.
Is the camshaft a roller? The cast roller does not have the provision for oiling on a non 109 block. If so did you install the correct cam bearings with a groove on the back of the bearing. The oil usually travels around a groove on the no 1 camshaft journal. If the camshaft has the groove, you need to check your front cam bearing for proper alignment and the installation of the front oil galley plugs.

If the cam bearings are not rear groove and the cam has no oil groove, and that is determined to be the problem, you can install a small line at the rear of the block by removing the pipe plugs and using fittings so oil can go from the passenger side to the drivers side. Removing the trans and flywheel is easier than replacing the cam bearings.

Yes it's a roller cam. We had a shop put the lower end together. They bought the cam bearings cause I forgot to buy them.

Would the same groove work both sides of the valve cover? Cause we have oil on the right side.

the grooved bearing Dave spoke of is to give a path for oil so it can get to the left oil galley. This pic may help.
upload_2016-4-13_10-30-42.jpeg

Roller cams work in a 109 3.8 block because there is a groove in the block over the top of the front cam bearing. 4.1 blocks need the groove machined or the TA Performance rear groove cam bearings. The line at the back of the block joining the oil galleys together is the only other option.

Yep. No groove on the front cam journal. The reason you have oil on the right side is because that's where the oil pump feeds the engine.

On my 4.1 I took a dremal and cut a groove so I could inject the oil into the journal at 4:00 (when viewed from the front) and connect the DS lifter bank to the oil circuit.

Keep in mind the cam bearings for the 14 bolt 4.1 aren't the same as the 109 cast 3.8.

Since you're already built the engine, It would be a major PIA to groove the block. i would either connect the two galley ports together on the back of the block or Get a new cam bearing and groove the backside by hand.

You need a piece of 1/4" copper or steel brake line and 2 90* compression fittings.
pull the trans and the flex plate and remove the 2 pipe plugs near the rear cam bearing.
Put the 2 90's in and fashion a U shape with the tubing and install in the 90's.
This will get oil to the drivers side lifters. Been done many times.

The only other way around it is to have a groove cut in the front cam journal. Fastblackracing's solution is the easiest way to go.

K is there a kit you can buy for this problem? Or just get the parts at a parts store?

You will have to get the 90 degree pipe to flare fittings and a piece of tubing with flare nuts at the parts store. If you have a flaring tool it's easy to do. 1/4" tubing will probably do it. You only need a few inches. Or you can use compression fittings as suggested. Much easier.

Last edited:
Don't use copper. It'll work harden over time from the vibrations. I'd use a short piece of brake line tubing if I were going to do that route.

The easiest way would be to get another set of cam bearings for a new front one, cut a groove in the backside and knock it in.

K is there a kit you can buy for this problem? Or just get the parts at a parts store?

You have to put it together yourself. 2 brass 1/4" or 5/16" compression 90* x 1/4" npt fittings and some tubing.
I used the super duty Yor-lok fittings from mcmaster-carr but I have seen the regular auto parts/hardware store with
success.
images

Does anyone have a picture of the finished product once hooked up to the motor?