• High volume

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock volume/pressure

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Stock with slightly more pressure via spring

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

typhoon

I have spent all morning researching various aspects of the simple freshening on my buick motor.

Seems there is a debate on oilpumps.

Some go HV other stay stock.

Theory is HV causes extra stress to camshaft.

So I am confused now. Which one should I get.

I am a bit worried about oil, as the old cam wiped lobe #1. Rest looked fine.

Engine has about 50k miles on it all factory.

Minus front cam bearing looking bad, and cam the rest of engine is in great shape.

I have used both HV and stock oil pumps... My experience with the HV pump is that it wore my #1 cam bearing out within 200 miles on my fresh rebuild, and the cam sensor gear was pretty worn out too... Maybe that wasn't the problem but I haven't had any problems since.

Replaced the cam bearings, and checked everything else out in the engine and reassembled it..

I went back to a GM timing cover with a stock oil pump with .002 gear end clearance with a KB booster plate and all is well and I have put on more than 7,000 miles since the rebuild.. And my oil press. with the stock pump and booster plate is 20 psi hot idle in gear and 70 psi WOT..:)

IMHO I would just stay with the stock oil pump and be sure that it is set up correctly..

Just my $.02

Who should i get booster plate from, and how much?

KB direct.

coming from syty world, KB has a less than respected reputation.

Guess the buick world is different?

Well I bought mine directly from KB and it cost about $40.00..

But you should just be able to go to a auto parts store and ask for a oil pump thrust plate kit which go for about $20.00 I think and its basically the same thing as the KB except the plate will be made out of steel instead of aluminum like the KB.

I think Melling makes one.

I've run a Melling HV oil pump for 112,000 miles. My cam has 160,000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems with the HV pump. While some people are satisfied with 55lbs of oil pressure at WOT, I'm not. I want 65 to 70. JMO