Not sure if this came out of the factory like this, because I don't see this in
the parts breakdown pic's. My stupid question of the day is, does this plate
get a gasket on both sides? If so do I need to dab a little right stuff on both
sides of both gaskets?

Attachments

• 105_0562.jpg
    105_0562.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 210
That's an extender for running high volume gears. Do a search on that and decide if you want to run them. If you do then yes, gaskets on both sides. NO right stuff or any other sealer. You should be able to get the gaskets in different thicknesses if you put it together and have too much (or too little!) end play.

I think I'd like to kept the extender. Whats the best way to make sure the gaskets are the right thickness?

Any body have a good source for different thickness pump cover gaskets? And
how much clearance do I need? I'm assuming that is measured shaft play with
the cover bolted down.

edit: I double checked the numbers and factory specs .002-.006 for end clearance.

.003-.005 for side clearance

After you tighten down the pump cover, be sure you can turn the shaft manually, and therefore not binding on the cover.

I shoot for a thrust clearance as tight as I can w/o binding. (.0005" to .0015") IT takes a bunch of fiddling with gaskets and sanding gears to get it just right. The current build I had to machine .005" off of the timing cover to get it parallel with the pump pocket. It seem the gears never sit flat out of the cover pocket and I get a tapered clearance. .0005" on one side of the pump and then .004" on the other. OK, sure, it'll work, but that isn't good enough for me.:p