Oil up through drivers side breather

JimG

after a small spirited blast down city streets, I parked and when I returned I saw a small oil patch on the floor beneath the car.
I found the drivers side v/c wet with oil and the breather on that same side also wet with oil.
normal?? abnormal??
Any advise?
Many thanks
Jim

oil from breather

I would check your pcv system and make sure that works, and how much boost were you pushing? Was there any knock?? HOw old is the motor? any new work done??

Get an

after a small spirited blast down city streets, i parked and when i returned i saw a small oil patch on the floor beneath the car.
I found the drivers side v/c wet with oil and the breather on that same side also wet with oil.
Normal?? Abnormal??
Any advise?
Many thanks
jim

rjc pcv valve .. No more leaks from the pcv under boost so no oil spray on the engine . If it is still thier after you might have a presurized block . Bad head gasket ..

maybe boost is leaking into the valley below the intake?? what ever the cause it does not sound normal to me.

actually that is the best thing to do as said above, do compression and leak down test, then change head gasket!!.

Been there done that, Blown head gasket will show all kinds of different things. Usually the middle cylinder is where the gasket will blow.

right now

Damn I hate leaky and blown headgaskets.... guy was only pushin 18 boost too.....

too bad....

hes running a fine line between leaking and a full blow out .. now is the time to change them before it costs big money .. when it blows completly he will find knock for sure . im guessing the gasket is just deformed and ready to go bang pop pop pop sputter puke .. i hate when that happens ..

after a small spirited blast down city streets, I parked and when I returned I saw a small oil patch on the floor beneath the car.
normal?? abnormal??
Any advise?
Many thanks
Jim

Need more info. Tell us about the motor.

I wouldnt jump to a blown head gasket conclusion right away lol. Oil on/out of the breather is a normal thing for boosted cars that run breathers on the valve cover. You shouldnt have a significant amount, where it goes from clean to dripping on the ground after one run, but it's possible your breather was already saturated. Start with checking pvc system. Clean the VC and breather and see how long it takes to get saturated again.

Hum

i wouldnt jump to a blown head gasket conclusion right away lol. Oil on/out of the breather is a normal thing for boosted cars that run breathers on the valve cover. You shouldnt have a significant amount, where it goes from clean to dripping on the ground after one run, but it's possible your breather was already saturated. Start with checking pvc system. Clean the vc and breather and see how long it takes to get saturated again.

sounds like an echo . We didnt jump . It was the evidence read the thread.

sounds like an echo . We didnt jump . It was the evidence read the thread.

ohhh you're suppose the read the thread?? All this time and i've been doing in wrong :rolleyes: ....anyway, its good to know you speak for everyone that posted. To me most of it took the tone of already assuming it was a gasket, I was just trying to keep the OP from getting worked up over possible nothing, in case he took it the same way i did. :wink:

Will see

Tests will tell . But hes running an rjc pcv and oil is spraying out of one side enough to puddle .thats where i made my assumption. And we all know how that is .and if he doesnt.i bet he chits himself if it blows under boost ..

The giveaway was " spirited blast" followed by " small oil patch on the floor" and "drivers side vc wet with oil"

I would bet money on a head gasket blown into the valley.

I just blew both of mine AGAIN Tuesday night....with a "spirited blast" , 4th set.

Good luck
Bryan

I doubt he even needs a compression test. Pull the breather out of the drivers side and start the car, listen for an exhaust sound.

Bryan

Hey Jim,

How many miles on the new build? Are you checking to see if the alcohol is spraying with the test button at idle? The car should bog down with it depressed. Dave used cometics/sprayed with studs on your build, it had a safe tune at 18lbs with Alky spraying the last time Dave had it at the shop. My stroker would drip oil out the breather even with the PVC blocked off, because of the angle of the breather and the placement near a rocker it was most likely oil being whipped up into the breather over time. I wouldn't worry too much about it for now, keep your foot out of it until myself or Dave can look over it.

Datar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn IPhone spell check, I meant to say PCV not PVC valve. Lol

thanks D

Hey Jim,

How many miles on the new build? Are you checking to see if the alcohol is spraying with the test button at idle? The car should bog down with it depressed. Dave used cometics/sprayed with studs on your build, it had a safe tune at 18lbs with Alky spraying the last time Dave had it at the shop. My stroker would drip oil out the breather even with the PVC blocked off, because of the angle of the breather and the placement near a rocker it was most likely oil being whipped up into the breather over time. I wouldn't worry too much about it for now, keep your foot out of it until myself or Dave can look over it.

Datar

D,
I have only put a few hundred miles.
Yep,I always test the alky upon startup.
Gonna see Dave on Tuesday.
Thanks for the calming message.
Have a great weekend.
Jim