oil?

RGS87GN

im hearing differant things, i just bought the car and havent changed the oil yet. i was told 20w 50, 5w 30, 10w 30, synthetic, non synthetic? how od i know whats right. the previous owner told me hes been using 20w50, if that is the wrong oil should i switch to something else? or do i need to stick with it?

I have switched oils probably 10 times in the last year. Valvoline Racing 10w 30 is what I use in my race cars. Except my Race Car which has Rotella as advised by the engine builder. My street cars I run Mobile One Synthetic!

The Valvoline race oil is not synthetic. There is two different kinds. One is the VR1, and the other is the Valvoline Race. Both are good.

First off, I would use an off-highway/racing oil. These have much higher ZDDP content than the everyday API oils for highway use. This is a must if you have a flat tappet cam... read this link Zddp Oil Issues

Second off is what grade of oil which will depend on the use and miles. Most use 10w-30, but if you have a high mile engine straight 30 will provide better oil pressure (at least at the gage).

Guys that are using the Valvoline Racing Oil (the off-road version) just be carefull with it, especially if there are rollers in the engine. The oil also contains high levels of Moly. Moly makes things too slippery. The rollers will not roll, they will glide and wreck havoc.

Rotella has changed the formula of their oil recently. The 1 gal jugs with the "rainbow" is the newest version with reduced levels of zinc.

The oil that should be used is this:

Penn Grade 1 Racing Oil

I too were using the off-road Valvoline racing oil but going to switch to the BradPenn former Kendall oil.

The viscosity depends on your clearances in your motor. You just have to try them out and see what your oil pressures are.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Chevron Delo is another good oil, synthetic , high levels of zinc,15-50 weight, $10. a gallon at K Mart. feels good-quieted motor down quite a bit.not sure if it has moly in it-will check.

can someone just tell me what kind of oil to use?

Valvoline Vr1 10w-30 or 20w-50. I have been running 10w-30 and it has been good for me. I know some other people running 20-50, but they have race motors. I know you can get the Vr1 at Auto Zone and Napa. HTH

What part of Southern Mass? I have used 10/30 Synthetics for 20 years in my GN. I think the real trick is keep it clean and change it often and you will be good to go.

Last year a valvoline rep asked me to try thier 20 50 racing.oil in my gn...sooo i dumped my oil and filter......I started the car and noticed even with their 20 50 the oil pressure was 3 or 4 lbs lower.....so what....as the engine was idleing (5 mins) and i was washing my hands....low and behold the rockers started squeaking on the shafts....yes there was oil going up into the heads......soooooo i stopped the engine ..drained the oil and filter topped up with my favorite blend rotella and eos...started engine....no more squeaking and oil pressure normal.....i do not remember viscosity of rotella OPINIONS FROM OIL TECKS gm once sold an anti squeak for chev rockers that were squeaking well i remember pouring in the engine this liquid to stop rocker squeaking

What part of Southern Mass? I have used 10/30 Synthetics for 20 years in my GN. I think the real trick is keep it clean and change it often and you will be good to go.

im in the brockton area. i think im gonna go with the 10/30. these gn guys make everything way to complicated haha

My engine builder told me stay w/ rotella t 15w-40 they used it to all ther engines any one on this one?:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0104[1].jpg
    DSCF0104[1].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 201