OK Buick vs. Ford Shootout

kevans

SATURDAY OCTOBER 26
NOBLE, OKLAHOMA

Test and tune on Friday night (25).

We need as many fast people as possible...we are down 4 to 3. If it has a buick motor you can run it.

Kev :)

Heads up!!!!!!

This is a great event , Heads up againts FORDS.

We really need a win this year to keep up , There will be as many races as cars we can pair up .

Last year we had one 7 second buick , several 8 second buicks , a little light in the 9 second cars (Art Freeman and Neil Whyte br oke ),lotsa of 10-11-12 and 13 second buicks though .

And this year the pro-tree , so start practicing

Re: Heads up!!!!!!

Originally posted by qwknuf6
And this year the pro-tree , so start practicing
they're running a pro tree this year? that sucks :( im a casual drag racer, still a newbie too. ran my first pro tree race a few weeks back and it totally screwed up my launch technique i finally got down. my r/t's sucked bad too.

why the change this year?

One of the main reasons of the change was the redlights. Probably half of our race losses were given to them by the red lights. Of course some of those guys would have one anyway cause they bring out a lot of fast fords. But we should have got more wins but we threw them away. With the pro light then it will give us a better chance for the people who redlight.

Talking to my Ford friends they tell their guys "if your not running 12's or faster stay home," Buicks can come no matter what you run we need all the help we can get guys.

Noble -

I am 'aight' with the pro-tree - but I think someone should implement a break out rule... when a mustang qualifies with a 12.50 and runs a 9.0 that sucks... any other changes you know of?

Winsett

www.MeanKidsRacing.com

Originally posted by mydesigner
Buicks can come no matter what you run we need all the help we can get guys.
most definitely, im gonna be there regardless of what kind of tree is run. still lots of fun which is what counts! :)

Pro tree is easy with a buick. Get the boost up at stage, mash the gas when you see yellow, then release the brake. .500 lights everytime.

It only takes a few runs to master it.

Its way harder trying to launch a 5 speed 5.0 on street tires with a pro tree. We shouldn't loose a race until the mid 12's.

Now i just have to get my car ready. If not, I guess i can take the GN....

We talked about doing the breakout rule, our meeting was yesterday. But the fear is that the more rules we make the less fun it will be. I definately don't like lining up to a mustang that has a cage and purges nos with tubbed out tires, with 13.3 on the window.:mad: But, as of know we don't have that. Maybe next year.

"Pro Tree"...bad idea IMO. Not many garage racers have ever run a PT, let alone can cut a good light on one with just a few passes of practice. I have been racing for 13 years and ran my first PT this year in Bowling Green.....did ok I guess. I'll still be there irregardless of what tree we run, but using the excuse that was previously posted as to why the switch; come on guys???

Get the boost up at stage
Easier said than done my friend, at least for me an my slow spooling t-62 turbo. Lighting the first blub and building as much psi as possible then creeeeeeping forward without sliding thru to light the second blub is a @*&!*# With a Sportsman tree I can build more boost while the light is coming down all while standing on the brakes IMO the Pro Tree rushs you thru the hole Spooling procedure and increases chances for a low boost leave.

all i know is i'm gonna be there. i dont care what tree were running. i've wanted to go the last 2 years just to watch and never made it, but this year i can actually race. and on the better side ...BUICK!!!

Originally posted by Rollin
Easier said than done my friend, at least for me an my slow spooling t-62 turbo. Lighting the first blub and building as much psi as possible then creeeeeeping forward without sliding thru to light the second blub is a @*&!*# With a Sportsman tree I can build more boost while the light is coming down all while standing on the brakes IMO the Pro Tree rushs you thru the hole Spooling procedure and increases chances for a low boost leave.

Rollin , Get the combo right and you will be much happier on the pro tree , car should build boost easy with that baby 62 . no waiting for three lites(bracket tree ) when you lite the second stage lite be ready to go .......

The best reason for the pro tree issssss.............it's HEADS UP !!!!

Originally posted by turbov6joe
"Pro Tree"...bad idea IMO. Not many garage racers have ever run a PT, let alone can cut a good light on one with just a few passes of practice. I have been racing for 13 years and ran my first PT this year in Bowling Green.....did ok I guess. I'll still be there irregardless of what tree we run, but using the excuse that was previously posted as to why the switch; come on guys???

I dont think a change from bracket tree to pro tree is going to make up for "PRACTICE "

I'm sure there will be complaints about the pro tree after it is all done .

Originally posted by Rollin
IMO the Pro Tree rushs you thru the hole Spooling procedure and increases chances for a low boost leave.

A low boost leave is better than a redlight. Traction went away last year in the final round, too. Low boost might be the key in not blowing the tires off.

The usual anti protree argument starts off buy saying something like "back in 1992 we tried Pro tree and it sucked..."

Ten years ago when no decent torque converter existed for a big turbo I could see it, but it's 2002. If someone needs three seconds to spool their turbo, they need to think about investing in a torque converter, or getting a smaller turbo.

Street race nights are all "instant green" around here, now, which is a lot harder than pro tree. Most of the mustang people that will show up, bracket race A LOT. If you look around the pits, there are almost no "everyday driver" mustangs that show up. Most are bracket cars.

If anyone thinks that a sportsman tree will be an advantage for the "once in a while buick racer", I'm telling you it aint gonna happen.

The Fords may kill us even with the Pro tree, but at least every race will be exciting to the spectators for the whole run (vs. a redlight start......:rolleyes:.......Next!)

Pert near 99% of the Ford cars will be NA motors....99.5% of the Buicks will be turbo motors....see my point yet??? Unless the auto-start system is set to give the turbo cars time to spool, the NA motors will hand us our asses! I don't have a spool-up problem with my car, so I don't care. However, most all of the "faster" Buicks with the BIG turbos will need time to spool. I have yet to see a "fast" Buick spool quick and get out of the gate on a good light, when compared to the NA motors reaction time. If we want to hand the Mudstang guys their asses, the turbo guys will need to be able to spool and get a good light; especially if the ladder is tight. On a ST, at least the turbo cars will have the benefit of the extra time to get it together....JMO guys, not trying to start a fued on the issue.

At this time I plan to attend, I love this event. It's a lot of fun and lots of good people (even some of the mustang people hehe)

I just got the car back from repair and plan to do some testing before hand to check things out.

As for the pro tree I'm ok with it. IMOP the trick is to not blink your eyes when staging or you will be late :)

I would suggest if you can come out to the event even if you don't plan to race it is a lot of fun.

See Ya there

very interesting...

turbov6joe - when you are in OK make sure you watch my car spool... I don't know what your definition of 'fast' is but I am spooling 2 'fairly big' turbos rather quickly I think... 18lbs in about 4/10th's of a second...

it doesn't matter to me really either way on the tree which ever is aight I think the faster cars perfer the PRO-tree

- I go because the weather is amazing - the people have always been nice - and generally its a good time. Not that this is the place for it but I will do it any way... my personal issues with the race are...

* when a car qualifies with a 12 and then runs a 9 in eliminations = sucks...

* I wish after the race we could have more time at the track after the race to BS and make passes... the weather is incredible and everyone is so nice - I thought we were going to try and do a BBQ or something this year after the race?

Winsett

quote from Winsett:when a car qualifies with a 12 and then runs a 9 in eliminations = sucks...

* I wish after the race we could have more time at the track after the race to BS and make passes... the weather is incredible and everyone is so nice - I thought we were going to try and do a BBQ or something this year after the race?

On #1 ,We have talked about a breakout rule but did not want to get bogged down in rules .Want to keep the Heads Up format , hard to do with a breakout rule . I do agree it sucks when cars sandbag

I think the eats after the race is a great idea , love to talk racing after the race ,thats the best time .
Will see if it can be done ,may not have the people to get it done though . But a good idea

The Pro Tree really doesn't matter to me. I, however, certainly don't think it's going to make R/T kings out of everyone who can't keep from going red on a Full Tree. For the sake of the bulk of the Team, I only hope the starter isn't a quick-tree artist. Someone please grease the skids in that department.

Art

qwknuf6 jr wrote:

On #1 ,We have talked about a breakout rule but did not want to get bogged down in rules .Want to keep the Heads Up format , hard to do with a breakout rule . I do agree it sucks when cars sandbag

I think the eats after the race is a great idea , love to talk racing after the race ,thats the best time .
Will see if it can be done ,may not have the people to get it done though . But a good idea

I don't think it would hamper the 'fun' nor hurt the fact that its heads up... the idea is that most mustang guys know that there is a bunch of regals that are not sand baggin and they can win more races if they hold back a little... all I am saying is that if they run 4 tenths or better faster than there qualifing run(s) then it shouldn't be an automatic win... if this is the case for instance, what is keeping someone with an 8 second regal from running 13's during qualifing or 10.0's... and pulling a car he knows he can wax and doing so? Like I said I don't mind it either way but you are selling this event on "come on guys we need all the help we can get from the buick crowd" but I have been to this event and I have seen this happen many times and the buicks lost both events.

MeanKidsRacing will donate some money to the BBQ idea - (if all I need to do is the money, I can't cook for ****:) - let me know who to get a check something to or what I need to do.

Winsett