Ok Lets try this again

Little6pack

What would be a good turbo upgrade for a stock motor with 20k on it.
Without changing injectors, running alky, down pipe and any other mods.

Looking for lower 13's or high 12's
With just turbo tweak chip, 100 octaine, test pipe, walboro, & stock everything else.

A TA-49 would be your best choice to acheive the goals you mentioned. You can run 13's with the stock turbo, but a 49 is about as big as you want to go with a stock torque converter and is a nice 20-30 HP increase over stock.

yea, it'll run 12's on slicks stock, with high boost and it will be Mustang food on pump gas. I say go with the 49

I realize i need posi & probably would run better than 13.8
if I installed posi & sticky's..

The route is wide open to what I can or can't do to the current set up..

I figured leaving the car as a peg legger & just rolling out with a bigger turbo to pull it faster down the track.
I just don't want to start adding on more little items like injectors,
exhuast, DP.. All a hassle to inch my way faster.

I figure the best mod for the money would be a slightly bigger turbo.

Your gonna need a posi rear if your gonna drag race. No questions asked. I bought my GN with a one leg diff and it sucked. Best bet is finding a used GM posi and doing a minor rebuild. Gotta have the posi rear

A TA-49 is not going to be a good bang for the buck IMO.

Max what you have first.
Ever think about seat time?
How about porting?

You can reach your goals by maxing what you have.

Bo

I agree...your stock setup will run much faster than a 13.8...have you made the wastegate adjustable? I would do a posi rear end....a set of drag radials.....an adjustabe wastegate and the mods you mentioned and you will have a 12 second ride.

Have not made WG adjustible..
MY custom chip allows 17 lbs 1st & 2nd gear & test pipe adds 1-lbs for 18-lbs.. I have no issues with boost yet.
I could go back to the wild thrasher chip but 21 lbs seems much.

I think the traction needs attention more than getting a turbo.

I just ordered a power trax unit from summit.. $195 & a dummy like me can install it.

I think he'd be fine with stock setup to run 13's/ high12's at the track thats pushing it provided he's running high boost and has good traction. I'm assuming sixsteve wants this car to be a nice street car.. thats why i thought the 49 is a good upgrade to give him power for the track and street. One thing that is discouraging about these cars is that you can take your car to the track and run 11's or 12's in "race" mode, then back to pump gas and drag radials and you over a second slower. If your gonna drive a lot on the street, and have the money, i'd do the TA-49 and a posi rear. Powertrax looks look from what i've read, never personally dealt with the units tho. just my opinion, i like my car to be very aggressive in street trim.. back when it was relativly stock, i used to get my ass handed to me by LS-1's, Cobra's... whatever... turbo and posi bring you one step closer to avoiding a loss to a stang, or even worse... a Honda Civic! :eek:

I'd rethink that powertrax unit. They can be very quiet and they can be very noisy. I have heard both ways.

I don't drive the GN much so the power trax noise issue won't be a probelm.
The EATON $329, install kit $75 & labor $200 is not worth it.

For $205 shipped I can put the power trax unit in myself & save $$ for Drag rads..
Who knows I may even go for a ta-49 for that extra 20/30 hp.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
I realize i need posi & probably would run better than 13.8
if I installed posi & sticky's..

The route is wide open to what I can or can't do to the current set up..

I figured leaving the car as a peg legger & just rolling out with a bigger turbo to pull it faster down the track.
I just don't want to start adding on more little items like injectors,
exhuast, DP.. All a hassle to inch my way faster.

I figure the best mod for the money would be a slightly bigger turbo.
DO NOT run a TA 49 with Stock injectors. Some BFG DRs and a good launch technique is a good street/strip combo to go along with your new posi. The Thrasher 108 and 21 lb boost is ok as long as you have good fp, especially in 3rd.

What timing is in that chip?

You need an adjustable actuator with the stock turbo and 100 octane gas.

If low enough timing you should be at 20-22 psi. with NO KR on that gas.

Talk to Eric at TurboTweak about your goals he should be able to help you.

Airbags and Drag Radials will help a ton.

A line lock makes cleaning the tires up and heating them a bit much easier.

Ported stock elbow will help, perhaps a power plate install too.

Alky. injection definately would get you there with 23* timing and the 100 octane gas and max. boost out of the stock turbo.

Then it's time for the 49 or 44. :)

Steve, i got a pair of Nitto 555R drag radials that are NEW for sale! Less than 1k on them. they are 26" dia, 275-50-15. I need the 28" ones. I'm even going to be in Nashua, NH on sunday taking the police exam... let me know. $250 there yours. There over $300 new

They do fit stock GN rims. Biggest tire you can get on them. I had 275-50-15 radial T/A's on my old GN rims and they fit fine.

Originally posted by salvageV6
What timing is in that chip?

You need an adjustable actuator with the stock turbo and 100 octane gas.

If low enough timing you should be at 20-22 psi. with NO KR on that gas.

Talk to Eric at TurboTweak about your goals he should be able to help you.

Airbags and Drag Radials will help a ton.

A line lock makes cleaning the tires up and heating them a bit much easier.

Ported stock elbow will help, perhaps a power plate install too.

Alky. injection definately would get you there with 23* timing and the 100 octane gas and max. boost out of the stock turbo.

Then it's time for the 49 or 44. :)

Eric gave me NO info about the chip he made excpt it is for 93 oct.
I told him I wanted 17 lbs in 1st & 2nd & stock in 3rd.
He told me to run 43 lbs at FPR.

I will have my friend Mike make up an adjustible WG.
Not sure why or how to use it?

Drag rads are a must as is posi.. Then time to see J, Cotten for a turbo :) Maybe at the winter gathering..