OK would it fit Part 2

Sisaro

ok since know one knows or cares whats the bigest turbo you can run in the stock location can some one answer this. If i wanted to bolt a T-78 from Turbonetics...would it fit in the stock location. If not what turbo would then.

it mainly depends on what housings the turbo is built in

you can have a same size turbo with different size housings on it.

I would say the housing like the 50-60 te series turbo's have would fit but the big housing like on my 70 with the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet most likely wouldn't fit

turbo size

Staying with a stock 84-85 turbo housing---John Craig says a 60-1 is the biggest compressor wheel that can be put in one. With an 86-87 unit --he can put up to and including a 66 compressor wheel. IMO that will be the largest turbo that would fit under the hood.
Keep in mind my theory is a turbo is too big only when you can/t close the hood.

pearls of wisdom i've picked up from lee thompson over the years:

-the only time a turbo's too big is if the hood won't close.
-the only time a cam's too big is if it won't fit in the block.
-there's two things a man will lie about:the size of his d!ck and how much boost he's running.

later,sean

Thankyou for the information i will put it to god use ...i was really hoping on trying to get a T-78 from TUrbonetics but i didnt want to take the chance with it not being able to allow the hood to close....thats all i was worried about. So i will try and go with a T-60 series then:D

I have a 60 with the bored out throttle body that I want to sell in before spring. If interested, email me.

Why so big , a t 78 is on the big side . This will only slow up your spool , Have you tried to max a 49 out or a 60 turbo yet , they say a 49 is good for low 11's so if your not running that fast then go with a smaller turbo and have it spol faster then the big turbo and go just as fast. I changed from a ta54 to a ta49 and i think the 49 runs better then the 54 because i have no head work.

just a thought

well see if i went with a T-78 it would have been a twin ball bearing to takie care of the spool up problem. That would be eleminated and im not one for off the line torque. I rather have a strong mid and high than a strong low to mid. Besides heat and torque are reletive to each other i rather have the car the hottest at top end where it will cool extremely fast then at the bottom end where it will be take some time cool with the limited air flow.

Top end is great but take it from someone who has been overturboed, the car is not fun to drive on the street. If you have to get around cars quickly in traffic, it consists of flooring it and backing off when you get a couple psi. It's not fun. With a T-78 even with dual ball bearings it's going to lag horribly and you will gain nothing in top end. People have gone in the low 130mph range with the T-64 like I have and it's borderline too laggy for me. I would call any car that traps 120 or above a great top end car. If you're looking for top end, you need to go through the motor. A stage motor would be even better because you could take the rev limit way up and would be very reliable for extended runs.

The other thing to worry about is aerodynamics and lack of brakes. I've had mine to 167mph and I will never do it again. These things were never meant to go that fast and eventually it will catch up with you.

The last thing is don't believe everything you read on the internet. I've run my share of Supras from a slow roll to ~110mph and never had a problem even with the old combo. They are a very fast car but by the time they catch you, you're in the dangerous speed range.

OK im sober now....Yeah there were some stupid satements i made. The boost thing yes it would not be so fun if you always had to let off the gas before you barely started to spool. I didnt base my opinions off of a bunch of internet lounging. It just upsets me most people are content on just sticking with what already has been proven time and time instead of further expanding the horizon. We all know its a great drag car but im sure its as equally as good road car to if applied right. I have done 162 and i was happy i was able to reach that speed but the rate at which i reached it was unimpressive in my opinion but i was having over boosting problems and had to keep the throttle modulating instead of staying in it, since i kept getting hesitation at anything over 17 psi

now i have a question is your Turbo ball bearing?? What type of setup is itlike A/R housing and is it a TUrbonetics T-64 or is it a bored out smaller housing with a 64 wheel??

OK im sober now....Yeah there were some stupid satements i made. The boost thing yes it would not be so fun if you always had to let off the gas before you barely started to spool. I didnt base my opinions off of a bunch of internet lounging. It just upsets me most people are content on just sticking with what already has been proven time and time instead of further expanding the horizon. We all know its a great drag car but im sure its as equally as good road car to if applied right. I have done 162 and i was happy i was able to reach that speed but the rate at which i reached it was unimpressive in my opinion but i was having over boosting problems and had to keep the throttle modulating instead of staying in it, since i kept getting hesitation at anything over 17 psi

now i have a question is your Turbo ball bearing?? What type of setup is itlike A/R housing and is it a Turbonetics T-64 or is it a bored out smaller housing with a 64 wheel??
Have you dyno'd it yet.

I have a few freinds with supra and i know i would be taken at anything past 110 but my main goal is to be able to atleast give them some competition past 130

I only wish I had the money for a BB turbo. It's a regular PTE turbo with the PTE .63 turbine. I had it originally installed in an 87 compressor housing but even the big inlet bell, along with some porting was still smaller than the compressor wheel. It's in the process of getting the regular TE housing since I don't need to bolt the TB to the turbo anymore. BTW, we just took my dad's stage II GN out today and I paid special attention to the spool of the T-76. I believe it's a single BB, not sure but I know it's a BB turbo. It spooled almost like a stocker but the motor has way more cubes, compression, and airflow than a stocker, not to mention a 4,500 stall convertor.

Another thing I remember is when my dad had his stockblock car with a T-62 on radials from a good 50 mph roll it would screech all the way through third gear until it hit fourth at 110mph. Anymore power is uselss on regular tires. I guess what I'm trying to say is a moderate sized turbo will make more power than a set of street tires can take at any sane speed.

Yes i have a better understanding of street drivability from a large size turbo currently I have a 3k stall and im running a modified stocker with a .57 compressor and a .82 A/R so the spool should be about as laggy as a larger turbo but without the power that comes with it. I still want to know how much hp i should be getting out of this thing. the only thing left is the stocker d/p and my stock headers are cracked.Well there is the stock ecm and ignition coil which get snuffed out at 18 psi on a cold night and can handle 20 psi on a warm day.

thats ine thing i would love to be able to do roast the tires at 50 mph in 3rd up to 100 plus... thats what im after. once my car can do that i think i will be satisfied :)