One of 500 in 1984........

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I just found out today from the first owner of my car, that is was one of the first 500 that was produced in 84. He said it was originally planned that they werent going to make anymore beyond that, but they did because the popularity was so high. I was just curious if this is true or not.

Also, is there someway to get a line sheet from when this car was made? And to also find out what number it might have been in 84?

Myth....

They never tracked the VINS of the 1984 Grand Nationals. You will not know if yours was one of the 1st created or not unless you have an early sale in 1984 that can be documented through State registration.

Buick never knew these cars would one day be desired as collector pieces.

A certain number of these cars had to be built to participate in NASCAR racing with the body style.

I have the origninal warranty booklet that they original owner signed on 2-14-84. He also said that this was one of the 500 that was planned to be built, and that was going to be it. Does that mean that this one could have been one of the ones that you're talking about? And, since I have the warranty booklet with date, and signature of the original owner, does that say anything?

2000 of these cars were built... a total of 2,000 1984 Buick GN's were created. I'm not sure why you are referring to 500 total... In my opinion it wouldn't matter because there are less than 500 of these cars still around. Most were wrapped around telephone polls, slammed into brick walls or other cars/trucks/vans/18 wheelers.

Each one of these cars were Black T-Types that received the GN package. they were grabbed off the build line and the GN package was added to the car.

When you look at your pink Slip (whatever color your state title shows... in my case of Colorado the Title is GREEN in color) does it state it is a Grand National... or does it show it to be a T-Type as the model?

I have yet to see a pink slip identifying these cars as "Grand Nationals."

Unless you have the build sticker in the trunk showing the WE2 code I would be leary and concerned in regards to anything you hear from a seller in regards to these cars. I can upload a digital pic of my build sheet for you to access whether or not you have a REAL GN.

2035144_109_full.jpg

Compare codes...

Compare location on the deck lid for this item... and notice there is a sticker on top of another sticker... Every 1984 GN I have seen has followed this sequence.

If you don't have this... you are risking purchasing a FAKE 1984 GN.

I have a numbers matching gn when I bought it and my trunk stickers does not have the round sticker under it. I will have to take a better look to make sure.

My Brother and a good friend of mine were on the line and built the 84's here in Flint.

One thing I was told, it was a strike year and the last 700 or so got open rear ends cause they ran out.

My friend Jeff still has his 84 with 23k on it, been sitting in his garage on stands for the last 18 years :(

I guess if you wanted more info I could ask

Mike

p.s he'll take 10k for it which is high from what i hear but the car is mint with t-tops

I just found out today from the first owner of my car, that is was one of the first 500 that was produced in 84. He said it was originally planned that they werent going to make anymore beyond that, but they did because the popularity was so high. I was just curious if this is true or not.

Also, is there someway to get a line sheet from when this car was made? And to also find out what number it might have been in 84?

For $50. you can get the original dealer invoice, it will tell you when the car was shipped. My car was shipped on 6/7/84. You will never know the numbering of these cars. If your car was shipped late in the year guess what.

Sounds like a load of crap to me, did this guy actually know some of the Buick executives at the time or did his car salesman tell him this, we know we can always trust them :rolleyes:

boostinitup, why would the ORIGINAL owner lie. He had it for 3 years before he sold it and said it was in pristine condition when he sold it. He has no reason to lie to me. Like i said, I have the original warranty book that has the signature of the seller, the date(2-14-84), AND the miles(13), which also has the vin number on it. with a signature date like that, that means it was shipped EARLY in the year, or late 87.

Sorry, but it was a general question to something he said, and i was just curious if there was something special about the first 500 GN's produced.

boostinitup, why would the ORIGINAL owner lie.

First... no where in my conversation did I call anyone a liar.

There are plenty of clones out there... I see them being sold on Ebay as Grand Nationals with bench seats... LOL. Buyer beware... You may actually be purchasing a black '84 T-type with GN badging...

If this is the original owner you can probably confirm that with a carfax check. 1984 was a long time ago... I can recall some of the things I accomplished back then but in all honesty if it wasn't significantly impacting I really don't remember what I ate on January 1st 1984... see my point? That was over 23 years ago... ;)

I don't recall anything "special" about the '84 GNs aside from all of them having leather interiors... or as in my case a handful having the moonroof option (it was a pricey option at the time at over $850). I am not the original 1st owner of my car... I have a Turbo Regal emblem on the nose of my car prior to the hood... I haven't seen this weird emblem on any other '84 GN aside from that of the Buick advertisement. Since I seen it there... I can reasonably assume atleast one of the cars got one (maybe mine is that car? I'll never know...). Maybe it was smacked in the front and all of the available parts were ripped off another turbo Buick or parts scavenged off the GM replacement listing? I'll never know. Older cars are like dating someone else's ex wife... you know someone else used it.

As for someone selling you a car and not lying to you... That is on you. Car dealers and car owners are to be trusted with your life right? After all you already have a fishy 500 car story... :)

Anyways... nothing being hidden here. You all can tear into those deck lid codes to your heart's content. Digital dash... climate control, electric adjustable seats, electric rear window defrost, Posi rear end... and the factory blue bottle nitrous option ;) If you have more codes than I do and you have an '84 GN I'd love to see them... :)

unless the GN came out halfway thru the 84 model year, then a february '84 car would be considered a LATE 84 model. unless, of course, it sat on the dealer's lot for a while before being purchased.
as for the "first 500" being special- i think everyone that owns any sort of collectible car has a story about why theirs is "special".
for instance, my '84 T Type is "special" becasue it is a late '83 built car- which makes it "one of the first" SFI equipped turbo Regals...

If this is the original owner you can probably confirm that with a carfax check. 1984 was a long time ago...

I ran my VIN with Carfax and they have no record on my car. Now I will swear on a stack of bibles a mile high about the authenticity of my car but Carfax is not foolproof especially with older cars.

I don't recall anything "special" about the '84 GNs aside from all of them having leather interiors... or as in my case a handful having the moonroof option (it was a pricey option at the time at over $850).

Neither do I and I was interested in the GN's when they first saw one in early 84 till I finally bought mine in Sept of that year. Unfortunately without some sort of documentation it is just a story.

I have a Turbo Regal emblem on the nose of my car prior to the hood... I haven't seen this weird emblem on any other '84 GN aside from that of the Buick advertisement.

Here is a low mile 84 that was on eBay some time ago with the hood ornament. This car was really nice and was around $19k.

I always thought my 84 was optioned weird with No power windows, locks, trunk release, posi, remote right mirror, vanity mirror, rear defroster, but it does have concert sound, power antenna, and aluminum bumper mounts and brake drums (probably due to no posi).

My dad also had an 84 GN in the late 80's early nineties. It had the "Deck Lid OK" sticker on the trunk, but mine does not.

The first pic is the eBay car the second is my trunk sticker

Attachments

• DCP_0224.jpg
    DCP_0224.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 84rpo.jpg
    84rpo.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 220
My aunt had preordered a 84 gn before they where available and it had the hood ornament. 2000 1984 "gns" where made. As mentioned before, they where t types randomly selected to get the gn badging. They where not numbered. There are only records of how many regals (which includes all turbo'ed and na regals), that had recieved the t-tops or the astroroof option in 1984.

and where in the heck does this magic # of only "500" of 84 gn's left keep coming from?

Thats fine. Im content with the answers here. What I find a little weird about my car is that the guy said he remembers the car having a leather interior, but now it has the seats with the grey going down the center, and black on the outside 4 inches. Kind of weird.

He either converted over to the later model '86 - '87 seats... or it isn't a REAL '84 GN.

Again... numerous clones out there.

Buyer beware...

Thats fine. Im content with the answers here. What I find a little weird about my car is that the guy said he remembers the car having a leather interior, but now it has the seats with the grey going down the center, and black on the outside 4 inches. Kind of weird.

Maybe it's an 85, they did not have the leather interior.

If you want to really know what you have you will have to get a copy of the original dealer invoice from GM. You won't get any fishy stories from them. It is researched on the vin and tells you all the options that were factory installed, etc. It's got all the info that would be on your window sticker, but it is not a window sticker.

Moot point guys. They didn't build them in sequence and there were two assembly lines for the hot airs. Flint and Pontiac MI. Heres something to ponder since we dont have any history to back up any claims. The average assembly line kicked out 85-125 cars per hour. GM made exactly 2000 GNs in 84. No more,no less. Okay since the GN was intended to be a low production, limited edition model what if GM and Buick decided to build all 2000 in one batch? If they ran 3 shifts at full production thats 83 1/3 cars per hour. Okay now who is going to argue about what cars were built just hours apart? You can spread those numbers out over 365 days and you can still see my point. Even if production started in the early part of 1984 it surely must have concluded by the month of May, dont you think? I would think a better indicator would be the build date that is on the cowl tag. Now what you guys need to do is start posting your build dates. IIRC I remember a certain original owner saying he bought his GN in October of 83. If that is true than it kind of blows that first 500 claim out of the water, doesn't it?