Opinions on the 80mm S400 Borg Warner

So an 80mm S400 variant with a T4 housing would be more than capable of 1100 HP @ 28 -30 psi efficiently?

So an 80mm S400 variant with a T4 housing would be more than capable of 1100 HP @ 28 -30 psi efficiently?

Id bet it would take more than 30 psi on a 275ci to hit 1100hp.

Mine ran 9.20 at 151.99 at 30#s of boost and it spooled awesome
I ran 35#s nut it showed no gain over 30 on my setup
The EX a/r was a 1.10 if i remember correctly

Also the car weighed 3580#s on that run.

It also took a real good convertor to get it there
It ran a best of 9.46 at 147.11 with my Art Carr
I installed a PTC convertor Dusty and Chris brought with them(Billy T's convertor)Thanks Billy!) and it went right out to run
the 9.20 at 151.99,This was with a 60 foot of only 1.49

IMO turbo works great,The GT4276 will probably run just as good
Im not sure of anyone running their car at the weight I did that has the 4276

Mine ran 9.20 at 151.99 at 30#s of boost and it spooled awesome
I ran 35#s nut it showed no gain over 30 on my setup
The EX a/r was a 1.10 if i remember correctly

Also the car weighed 3580#s on that run.

It also took a real good convertor to get it there
It ran a best of 9.46 at 147.11 with my Art Carr
I installed a PTC convertor Dusty and Chris brought with them(Billy T's convertor)Thanks Billy!) and it went right out to run
the 9.20 at 151.99,This was with a 60 foot of only 1.49

IMO turbo works great,The GT4276 will probably run just as good
Im not sure of anyone running their car at the weight I did that has the 4276

Thanks for the feedback Otto. What was/is your CID?

How would a GT42 76 or 76GTS compare? I'm thinking about switching from my current 72R. Thanks in advance.

Yes we could build one on a T4 chassis that would spool quick and make those #'s.
JZ, What would your recommendation be for the turbine housing as far as A/R goes for a person who is injecting a large amount of nitrous to assist spooling (turned off at 16 psi) compared to a setup that is not?

Also, would there also be another A/R choice for a person deciding to use the nitrous injection for the complete 1/4 mile run?

Have you had any past experience doing setups where nitrous injection was used? Stories to share?

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

JZ, What would your recommendation be for the turbine housing as far as A/R goes for a person who is injecting a large amount of nitrous to assist spooling (turned off at 16 psi) compared to a setup that is not?

Also, would there also be another A/R choice for a person deciding to use the nitrous injection for the complete 1/4 mile run?

Have you had any past experience doing setups where nitrous injection was used? Stories to share?

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

A/R wouldn't really change in relation to the N2O for spooling. We have had supra customers running spray with our units for quite sometime.....no big deal. As for A/R's I would probably suggest a 1.1A/R for big power with spray being used to lite the turbo off. For complete runs, then I would suggest moving up to the larger 1.19 or 1.22A/R.

How would a GT42 76 or 76GTS compare? I'm thinking about switching from my current 72R. Thanks in advance.

Peter,

The 72r will support ~900HP, you should be ok with your current motor combination. If anything I would put a smaller turbine wheel on it to spool with your 231ci motor. If you swapped that out with a ptrim wheel it would be a lot more fun to drive and race. I have driven the car, specified out the motor, tunned on the fast and that is my opinion. :eek: :biggrin:

Thanks Jose and John.

John, I thought you may know a thing or two about the car. :D

Thanks Jose and John.

John, I thought you may know a thing or two about the car. :D

Peter, I want a ride next time you are in town! =)
I hope you and Jen are having fun.
If you are not having any issues with the turbo I would just
get the smaller wheel put on it. For right now I would just consider it
ghetto traction control!

I have a Borg Warner S474 T6 1.10 A/R waiting to go on my blow through 69 GTO next spring. There was an RX7 that laid down over 1k at the wheels with this very turbo ( really high psi though ) so an 80 would make killer power even in the T4.

I have read many times how guys make the exhaust housing really big if you are going to spray it off the line, more juice = bigger ex housing.

I don't see BW or anyone wanting to tool up a 3 bolt housing. What might work is convincing that new SS header manufacturer getting into the market at $300 and have them make it a 4 bolt with a bolt on 3.5" DP. Then welcome to the world of cheap turbos that make mad power. :D

I will email them as next summer I plan on stepping up my program and a 70BB T4 would make a killer street combo.

I just spoke to Jose and he said he could put something together for
us for ~$1000 and going to 1700 for a full custom unit.
The wheels that could be built out first are the 57,
62, 66 and 70.

57MM Flows 62lbs x 10.86 = ~673HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 620HP Conservative

62MM Flows 73lbs x 10.86 = ~792HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 730HP Conservative

66MM Flows 80lbs x 10.86 = ~868HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 800HP Conservative

70MM Flows 92lbs x 10.86 = ~999HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 920HP Conservative

It is always interesting to have other options...

That 62 & 66 wheel look very interesting to me. From what I have seen, these wheel will flow hugh amounts of air even on low boost. If you have enough head + intake flow I have seen them max out with flow of 15lb but making big power. I am wandering if the ETT wheels will have problems with compressor surge on a smaller low RPM engine. I know the imports have some of the big wheels in use but they can rev big RPM.

If no problems come up with surge, I think a hybrid with these wheels would kick.

Jess