Paint chip - advice on spot touchup?

Rogue74

I just uncovered my car for the summer and I discovered a 1" by maybe 1/4" paint chip smack on the nose of the car. It looks like it's down to the metal. I've got a good airbrush (for scale models, not a large HVLP gun) I can use. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. Obviously I'm going to need a primer/sealer first because of the depth. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just a fix that will look decent driving around until I can get the entire car painted.

first off is it original paint aka lacquer...if it is on the nose...aka header panel that is not metal...what color...you would be better off refinishing the header panel...if it is down to the base material...you can fill with 2 component glazing putty and refinish

If it is a pinhole you are looking to touch-up for black paint I would consider using Dykem fine line 33.

I have used it on touch-ups on areas that needed it like where the spoiler meets the trunk lid. I had a small rub mark left from buffing on the spoiler as a quick touch-up some of the paint from that stick masked it very easily.

Dykem fine line 33. As for a fine point permanent paint stick it has the blackest paint I have seen. It doesn't dry purple-ish like a sharpie. The Dykem sticks are halide free so they wont etch metals.

The other alternative is get some touch-up paint to match your paint.

I'll try to get a picture of the chip this week. The car is at my parents' house (my dad has all the tools. So far...).

Sorry for taking so long with the pic. I have my car at my parents' house to work on it and haven't had a chance yet. The picture makes it look larger than it is; it's only about 1" long by maybe 1/4" high. http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3078/scratch.jpg

Does anyone know of a good match for the factory paint? My dad said he had some Duplicolor GM black, but I don't know if that would work or not. He used to paint all his Corvettes before I was born (in '77). He said I could probably just feather the edges with sandpaper and then airbrush several coats until it was level. I need to repaint the whole car eventually, but that's a ways off. Right now I just want it so you wouldn't notice the scratch unless you walked right up to it. So if someone knows a better way to do it then my dad let me know.

thats a big chip! lol. You'd have to fill it with something first. If you feather edge that, it's gonna be huge when your done. You could always just take the header off and sand it yourself and get a shop to paint it.