Paint Matching Problem Code 15

terryk

Has anyone run into a problem matching the 86 Medium Gray Metallic Code 15 paint for the 86 TT?

I've been to three paint stores (PPG/Omni/Sherman Williams) and there mix is too light. It looks more like Testor's Chrome paint that the darker TT paint. In fact it matches the lighter/lower decal more than the sheet metal paint.

The paint tag in the engine compartment lists 15L and 15U for the upper and lower.

Has anyone else run into this? I was thinking it might have been a difference in the original laquer but the difference should be this pronoun.

The car did get the recall paint and they did a BC/CC on it. I've had my car along side of another with the original paint and it's the same (although the CC is obvious).

Does the clear coat darken the paint ALOT?

I need to paint my header and fillers. Maybe I'll just strip the whole dang car and do it over.

Terry

they should be able to match the paint on your car ar come really close. try yo find a paint store that has a color spectromoter. it will help alot and they should be able to tint it if it is still not right.

Yeah, I can pay them to match it but with a paint code is usually not necessary. Even they are stumped.

Terry k,
I used to manage an automotive paint department(Dupont) and I know that most of the time there are alternate color mixes for the same code, and those were dependant on where and
when the car was manufactured. For example, my own TR had a code 62(Dark Chestnut Metallic) and when I looked it up there were, I believe 4 or 5 that ranged from a caramel bronze to a dark brown metallic. In addition, conditions such as air pressure and gun distance will cause tonal differfences, the best way to get an idea of what it will look like is to do a series of test panels to help determine if it is right or not. I will pass this along though, the Dupont formula is B8502,and by looking at the chip it should indeed be a darker shade, I dont know if there is a Dupont retailer near you, but if there is ask if they have a Chromavision scanner and have them scan the car,the results along with the stock number should pick out the closest alternate. If they don't have one, the popular color position formula should be a good match. As far as the clear changing the color , a low tech method of arriving at that would be to spray some a peice of acetate and when dry, look at the opposite side(the oe without the paint) should give you an idea.My .02 cents, for what its worth. Good luck.

That is excellent information and great suggestions. There is a store will Dupont close so I can check that too.

Thanks again!

Terry

i have a 87 turbo t that needs the hood nose and fillers painted 15U
im going to take the parts off and have HENDRICKS auto body here in town paint the parts-

mine is a repaint also, basecoat/clearcoat and was wondering how yours turned out?

THANKS

BW

I've had that exact same problem with my Silver Metallic (paint code 91). I wanted to spray paint a new front bumper filler to match, and the Plati-kote match is supposed to be 'GM 7188,' but that is way to silvery. grrrr :mad:

BASF has a Color-Max system which is a set of color cards with all the "alternate" colors, too. A bodyshop or supplier with these decks should be able to find you a real close formula.

I now have attempt #3 from PPG (Code 15). It's darker than the others but lighter than the car. I suspect the clear coat will darken it some. Is that true?

Terry