Painting fillers w/ lacquer Help!

rmc123

I have a low mile original paint car. I am replacing the front fillers with nos ones and the rears wilth glass, untill Richard comes out with his fillers. I have had the LACQUER paint made special. What needs to be done on the fronts (NOS) to keep them from peeling/ cracking? Also does the glass rears need any special thing for them when painting? Thanks in advance, I just want to match original paint.........

Fillers

I just picked up a 87 Regal and all four of my fillers are gone.I went to google and typed in 87 buick real bumper fillers and a company came up that sold all four fillers for $269!!!! If I can find the website I will post it up for you.

dont need, i already have my fillers. need guideance on paint application for lac paint.........

Fillers

My fault I work for Carquest Auto Parts and we also have a paint department and you could give the guys a call and they can help you out as far as that's concerned.The number is 704-821-3352 and tell them that Alvin recommended you to them.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. If I were you I would go with the stock front fillers and the glass rears. The whole idea of the soft rubber is to prevent damage when you hit somthing. The glass is very thin but will do a lot more dammage than oem and they could crack if you bumped a sgin post or the back wall in the garage. Problem with using stock rears,if you can find them, they will cost you $1200.00 You can get the oem fronts for $90 each or less....

to match whats on the car, want to keep it as original as possible, Also for touching up chips and scratches on the bumpers............

Need to be prepped with a polyester primer,can use a flex agent if desired, but IMO not needed. Bumper maybe, can help with nicks,chips. You can also use a lacquer based primer, but why would you, better primers out there. Part of the durability problems with the OE fillers was the lacquer paint and old tech UV-resistant resins within the fillers. I think you would be better off with a single stage poly top-coat. If it's the texture your trying to match, just practice a bit with varying pressure and fluid volume. As far as the look, you can't tell the difference if done right and will weather much better. JMO.

GC

whats best for matching factory paint?

i have some of the hard fillers from kirban....car has original paint

GC, I appreciate the info. I have already got the paint special made,and it wernt cheep. I am not doing the spraying its being done by a resto shop. I just want to make sure its being done right. I am trying to save as much original paint on the car as possible.I dont know how much if any experiance he has on these Buicks ( he didnt know the bumpers and fillers were lacquer),he does restore a lot of GM's along with Mopar.
So you are saying he needs to use a poly primer or a flex agent on the oem fronts with the lacquer? I dont know anything about paint unless you put it on with a brush (he he)

Actually the whole car is lacquer, sprayed using a dispersion method. I understand why and what your doing, I just don't care for lacquer that much. It is easy to shoot though. A polyester or lacquer will work for the primer in those areas, he will most likely have a some sort of poly on hand and a flex agent is really not needed on the fillers or bumpers. I'm I out of hot water now for not liking lacquer.:eek:

GC

if the Resto shop is doing the painting, I would hope they know how to prep the parts.. :confused:

anyhow, as said previously there is so much better urethane paints out there, but if you had this stuff "specially mixed" do what ya got to do, in the future I wouldn't reccomend Lacquer...

Good luck w/ the project, and post some pics for us when it's done.