Pan trash

gusszgs

Hey all, just looking for some opinions from some of the trans builders.
These pics are approx 4-6 thousand miles after a fresh fluid change and filter. I run the car fairly hard on the street but don't pound it all the time. I'm concerned that this is a little too much debris in the pan for that amount of miles. Any thoughts and wishing all a Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    895.3 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Probably fresh residue from change? May take a few looks to see clear & clean pan & fluid, but be careful what you wish for!
Too clean can be tricky on an old trans that's used to being dirty...good luck.................

Thanks belsie, I've done 4-5 fluid changes on this trans and it just gets worse it seems. No idea how many miles are on it. Could be original for all I know, which would put it around 110,000 miles. Shifts perfect til ya start lay'n the coal to her

Thanks belsie, I've done 4-5 fluid changes on this trans and it just gets worse it seems. No idea how many miles are on it. Could be original for all I know, which would put it around 110,000 miles. Shifts perfect til ya start lay'n the coal to her
Last sentence. If the car isn't stock and the trans is then it usually doesn't take long to tear up direct

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Just like Bison said...your last sentence sums it up. I had my trans built 3 years ago to handle 11 flat blasts. I beat it silly every weekend spring to fall...until late this year when I pushed it into the mid 10's. 2-3 flare showed up. I'm having it 'toughened' up to handle 10 flat blasts. Ask for Peter at Milton Transmission.

Brad

Just like Bison said...your last sentence sums it up. I had my trans built 3 years ago to handle 11 flat blasts. I beat it silly every weekend spring to fall...until late this year when I pushed it into the mid 10's. 2-3 flare showed up. I'm having it 'toughened' up to handle 10 flat blasts. Ask for Peter at Milton Transmission.

Brad
You gonna dual feed it this time? What clutch/steel configuration did you decide on? (im hoping for thick steels and some red or blue raybestos to see how they do) .

What about yours Mr Guss? Is your build stock or has it been upgraded? Miles on build?
I've seen much more debris in a th400 pan that shifted fine, but a 400 is a "little" more robust. At least it is still red/pink.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks Brad, may give them a shot in the spring.

Bare minimum you'll need will be the hardened stator support tube and hardened sun gear shell. Both are available from CK for about 50 bucks each...and Chris is Canadian shipping friendly. All my hardened/billet parts are from Chris.

Yes, have Chris's shift kit and his billet servo. Was going to install late this year but probably a waste with a tired trans.