Parts Car Value

Westriver87

I just bought a wrecked 87 GN local and am looking for some insight on the value. It was hit hard in the front which bent the frame and creased the body. I have already pulled the front clip and drivetrain. I am probably going to keep the rest just to hold onto. The compressor, power steering pump, and tensioner are broke along with the bracket for them from the impact. The crank pulley has a little ding in it (small like it was tapped with a ball peen hammer). Its completely stock other than some green stripe injectors. 140K miles. Whats it worth or are they worth more parting the motor out? Also, what about the brf trans? I know the rear ends go for around 800-1000? Thanks for the help.

Take off what you want and part the rest. Post up some pics and you can get a better idea of its worth.

Bryan

Thats more or less what I was going to do. Really just looking to sell the drivetrain. I've been looking at old threads, but most are either short blocks or complete motors with accesories. Im not looking to sell nothing right now. I was basically wanting to know is there more value in a complete running motor minus the accessories or parting it out?

Probably get more for the running motor. There is always someone looking for a complete motor for a swap. Good luck.

Bryan

Everything has a value, the issue is finding someone in your area to buy it if you don't want to ship. I have had the hardest time selling transmissions. I have 5 BRF, 1 BQ, and 1 KZF transmissions. No takers. Rear ends sell on craigslist. I have gotten $850 within hours for a posi. $650 for a powertrax locker. I have gotten $2000 for a complete engine, intercooler, harness.

Make sure the rear isn't bent. Look at my old thread that I had a wrecked Gn that car sounds like it was hit like yours that housing was super bent but I got it straightened for $150 plus another $50 in axel bearings so for $200 I was able to get the $950 I normally get for rears on Craigslist. Trannys are slow sellers I have around 15 200r4 with various codes here. Engines with everything and nothing broken, dp, harness, ECM, maf nothing cut etc...... Ready to drop in should bring you $2500 once you find the right guy and you will get that if your patient and find the right guy. Better time to sell is fall / winter.

Rear will sell fast probably locally but not on here . Craigslist is your friend!!!! Pictures with a phone # will get it done. Advertise 2 hours in diffrent directions/ few ads for same part . Call 1 a motor another a engine. Diffrent years 86-87 that way they don't flag your ad. Hope this helps

Unfortunately, my innercooler and accessories was all damaged in the wreck, but other than that its all ok. I will probably keep the trans for a spare. I would think it would be hard to bend the rear end. Wouldn't it bend the control arms before it bent the rear? I'll get it out this week and check it out.

I have had 2 gn's with bent rears from accidents now in the last 2 years. Last car my accessories were fine except inter cooler fan and inter cooler were all smashed and that shifted the engine in the chassis which buried the driveshaft in the rear . The rear control arms were held by the axel tubes got bent by the driveshaft being pushed back.

The other car I had was in a chase and hit a bunch of stuff other than that I don't know . Pull the cover and the drums and see if the axels slide out if they do it's probably fine. The 2 I had no way they were budging even with a drum on backwards held by lug nuts and being beat on by a 3lb sledge wouldn't even budge. They used heat and a back hoe to bend it back at a chassis shop.

Your engine without accessories probably $2000.

Check the rear before hand because giving money back sucks and your reputation is everything!!!!! Just telling you what I have learned

I will definetly check it. Im not going to sell junk. The drive shaft was pushed all the way into the back of the trans. I had to hit it with a hammer for it to slide out. But it doesn't look bent so if the driveshaft looked ok I would think the rear would be good. I will still check it. Thanks for the help.

I will definetly check it. Im not going to sell junk. The drive shaft was pushed all the way into the back of the trans. I had to hit it with a hammer for it to slide out. But it doesn't look bent so if the driveshaft looked ok I would think the rear would be good. I will still check it. Thanks for the help.
My situation was exactly the same !!!! Had to hammer the yoke on the driveshaft end to get out of tranny. Driveshaft was fine but rear was so bent Stevie wonder could of seen it and this was the 2nd car like this too. Like I said pull rear cover and drums and c clips and if axels pull right out no problem if they don't pull out its still worth fixing . If you put $200 into rear to straighten and bearings then you can still get $750 profit out of it otherwise you won't find a buyer. I offered the rear I had for $600 bent and was telling everyone where to go to get it fixed and no one wanted to bother but once it was fixed it sold instantly.

I really reputable chassis shop that does roll cages and tubbing cars and other mods should have a jig to check for straightness and be able to bend it back if bent.

I just pulled the rear tonight. It's bent pretty bad. I can still turn the axles and yoke by hand so I'm hoping the tubes can just be bent back or replaced.

I hate to be the 1 that said I told you but ________________. Like I said a chassis shop straightened both I had and I was upfront with the buyers about the situation and they fine with it . You will have to get it fixed or no one will even consider buying it though. Don't throw it out whatever you do because it can be fixed. !!!!