Parts!

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
I received my Translator, LS1 LAF and Scanmaster in the mail.

I managed to mock up the MAF connections using the stock cloth/spring MAF hose and two 3-3.5 inch adapters, and using the stock air filter box and elbow. I really should take some pictures. It looks hideous. :eek: At least my IAT sensor is in the stock location... Any good ideas on where to mount the translator?

Car idles much better now, I left it on the stock settings. Still need to solder up some connections for my Scanmaster.

I'm going to be looking for a 3.5 inch K&N cone filter really soon, and a custom MAF pipe to fit the new MAF to the stock turbo.

What, the Translator? If I had T-Pro, I can see how that would make a lot of sense, adjust the settings without having to pop the hood and stuff. I'll mock up the final fit with some zip ties - hope it doesn't become a permament fit...!

I'm going to see about sticking the Scanmaster directly above the steering coulomb, I've seen some of you guys do that and it looks really good.

Two-gauge pillar pod along with a Boost-vac gauge and knock gauge just ordered. I could actually ship it by slow-boat, thankfully.

Oh drat, lemme take my ghetto picture real quick...

Shot showing the, well, you all know what this stuff is...

Another showing that 1: I have bad hood struts but a broomstick works in a pinch and 2: my front clip is a piece of crud.

Attachments

• Mockup MAF 4 small.jpg
    Mockup MAF 4 small.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 114
  • Front Clip small.jpg
    Front Clip small.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 113
Have you boosted yet? I doubt that hose will stay lodged inside there..

Jason

it's under vacuum on that side, not pressure.

To start with I would use some shrink wrap on those wires, or even wrap them in electrical tape. And then I would turn the MAF 180 degrees and run the wire underneath the intake setup and then mount the box somewhere on front side like where the connector on the MAF is now. I also agree with Quiky One and I would definatley change that hose setup. You're not going to get very accurate readings when air is sneaking in between the hoses. Your best best is to just go to a hard intake pipe now anyways because the dryer ducting is going to start collapsing on itself anyways.

Yeah, I figured it won't seal very well, I was only mocking it up to see if it would fit. And that it worked, which it did. The MAF connections for the adapters are TIGHT, though, I had to use a bit of oil to assist them onto the MAF - I can't even rotate them now. The rest flat-out sucks and was done with copious amounts of jerry-rigging on the fly. I never boosted with it like that, though, only prolonged idle periods while I enjoyed the sound of the car actually idling decently!

Only concern about turning the MAF - will I have to ditch the stock air box? There's not a lot of room to maneuver stuff unless I start getting rid of things, like the evaporative cannister and/or air box... I can already see moving the IAT to post MAF or something. K&N makes filters that will stick right onto an LS1 MAF? Definitly need a MAF pipe, though!

Two-gauge pod and boost/vac gauge arrived yesterday. Waiting for the knock gauge to ship, then I'll think about installing them.