Passenger Header Removal

84GNGary

Long Time Owner
How much of a PITA is taking off this header so I can have the cracks welded. It looks like the up & down pipes will have to come out, now what about the gaskets or seals between the pipes and the turbo. Can they be reused or will they be useless, then what do you do ? I am going to stick with the stockers because of $$$.

Do yourself a favor and remove the ac compressor and accessory bracket. Then it is very easy. I have done it so many times I can remove and install one in 45 min or less.

Biggest issue I have with that side is torque, there is no way to torque the header bolts to spec when it goes back on, you have to educated guess it. If it is a stock header it's not that bad, I usually disconnect the downpipe at the most convinient place..in my case I have the hooker dual exhaust and there is a junction about halfway toward the back of the car....four bolts and it falls off. Once the downpipe is free you can manuver it out of the way. Up-pipe and crossover obviously come off, once these items are clear you can access all the bolts directly or through the fender well. Then it's just a matter of getting it into a position where it can be pulled out. Be sure to disconnect the battery, if you don't and that downpipe or header catch's the starter your gonna wish you had.....

T

Piece of cake, thanks for the tips :cool: . I can't believe every bolt on the turbo and pipes all came out, although I was soaking them for a week ;) .
Here is the crack I have to fix. Also check out how restricted some of the porting is on them. The pictures really don't do it justice there is about a 1/4 " that I am going to remove with a Dremel.

Attachments

• header1.jpg
    header1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 120
  • header2.jpg
    header2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 100
  • header3.jpg
    header3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 109
  • header4.jpg
    header4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 113
  • header5.jpg
    header5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 117
hey 84GN Gary... What all did you remove when you removed the header? Did you remove downpipe and the AC and AC bracket? I'm fixing to do the same to my 84.

Turbobuick2 said:
hey 84GN Gary... What all did you remove when you removed the header? Did you remove downpipe and the AC and AC bracket? I'm fixing to do the same to my 84.

I did it in this order, disconnect the battery, took the tire off, removed the o2 sensor, Removed the a/c lines, altenater, and the a/c bracket. Removed the up pipe, disconnected both ends to the down pipe so it can be moved around to get access to the header bolts, it cannot be removed if you leave the crossover pipe hooked up to the drivers side header. Disconnected crossover pipe and removed header. Do yourself a big favor and soak all the bolts with a good penetrating oil for at least a week.

Tenright - too much $$$ to replace the pipes & headers.