pilot car or other raritie's

t-typinator

I'm just wondering what might be out there,for 1 of 1 cars or pre production,or special ordered color cars,or dealership built up cars,sold to the public as new cars,like the old yenko,nickey or motion,camaro's,or grand spalding dodges. or any extreme rarities in the turbo regal world.I have seen the alternative fuel cars ,they are kind of neat.
If you are an owner of such a car + want to sell,Pm me.
Even if it's not for sale i'd like to hear about it.
Of course i mean other then the gnx.actually now that i think of it, is there any known gnx pilot cars out there.

A couple months ago when i bought a turbo-t ,I dug thru my old car magazines for turbo regal stories,I found some mags with articles,I put the magazines on the lower part of my coffee table + forgot about them . About an hour ago I'm watching tv + i look down + there is a pic of a gnx partly exposed in the stack of mags,so i pick up the mag.+ it's a car craft magazine,dated sept, 1987 volume 35 numer 9 with an article about the gnx before its even in it's finished form,the magazine guys + all the buick + mcclaren bigwigs were testing ,get this " 7 proto types " This is the exact kind of vehicle I just inquired about on this thread, + now i am reading about 7 of them that were used for r+d.(Anybody got 1 of these cars pm me)
Cool article everybody with a gnx should see if they can get the magazine article,from car craft,or maybe it's on the internet,i didn't check. The article is called" project gnx"(Remember this is pre-production article of them testing the soon to be gnx)They actually take 2 of the cars out onto a dirttrack race track with dirt track cars + spin out in one of the "original gnx prototypes" and almost hit a retaining wall. Yikes!!!

I also just found out in the same article that the" fbi bought 100 grand nationals for their agents" doesn't say if they were modified in any way or if they were stock.I would guess just stock.
But an interesting side note anyway.

also just came across the "sticky" in the gnx section about the prototypes.
Now thats what i'm talkin bout!!
I use to collect muscle cars,+ would look for the rarest of the rare,+ i especially liked the proto-types or pilot cars or 1 off's or anything notable,+ at the moment i am into the turbo regals so naturally i'm scouting for anything along those lines.The most recent i've owned was
In 2007 i got into the ls1 cars + learned of a 1 of 1 colored 98 ss,+ got interested in the car,because i had a z/28 in the same color at the time,what was interesting was that the ss could not be had in that particular color,+ it was a ss convertible,so i put out a thread saying if that car was still out there I was a buyer + to contact me,about 2 weeks later i got an email saying that he has the car i'm looking for, + its for sale.I.m going to shorten the story here because its too long for this thred but,I flew out + bought the car,not only was it a 1 0f 1 color but it got that way because it was a pre production pilot car,the vin started out with 1000xx,. I got the "vehicle build" copies for the 1st 50 cars built, from a connection at gm,which showed the car was the third ss pilot car built,+ the second ss vert built,but the 1st + only ls1 6 spd pilot ss convertible built,the red ss vert auto in the 1998 camaro brochure centerfold is the 1st ss vert built + the black ss hardtop on page 4 + 22-23 of the same brochure is the 1st ss built, all the other cars in the brochure were in those first 50 build sheets, of the 1st 50 cars builds that i got it showed 36 were pre-production pilot cars most were 6cyl cars,some went to other countries for display,etc. # 37 started regular production of the 98 model yr. out of the 36 pilot cars I believe 9 went to other countries + 21 were destroyed by gm.Why mine survived or was even built i still don't know,but i did get it out of the hands of a guy who was "personalizing" it. + put it in the hands of a collector who was going to unpersonalize it + preserve it.
I know this is not a turbo regal story,but it shows why i put up this car wanted ad to begin with,+ if your a car nut you will prob be interested in a rare performance car story anyway.Most people don't realize that the cars you see in the dealer's brochures are pre production cars ,because the brochures are made way ahead of time so people can see the new cars of the next yr models.They also need them for r+d, + car show circuit,parts + repair manuals,tv comercilas etc.They also need to make sure the line is running right + the fit + finish is up to par for the new yrs model etc.

Just curious was there a dealer's brochure for the turbo regals? must have been at least for the new grand nationals.

Man ,what a looong post, can you tell i've been trapped inside all day because of this damn snowstorm.

my car could be bought for the "right" amount of coin:eek:......more info on the Dept of Energy (DOE) cars are i my sig.....my car will be on the Tv show,Muscle Car this February,hope it come out good:eek:.....i tried to explain the program and where the last 3 are.

my car could be bought for the "right" amount of coin:eek:......more info on the Dept of Energy (DOE) cars are i my sig.....my car will be on the Tv show,Muscle Car this February,hope it come out good:eek:.....i tried to explain the program and where the last 3 are.

Us Normal folks prorobably won't be able to park next to you at the Nats next year.

when i said if you are the owner of such a car,+ want to sell pm me,in the original post, i didn't mean 1 of the alt fuel cars, I meant a pre- production, or pilot vehicle,or special dealer built car sold as new.I was just commenting that i had seen the (doe) cars + thought they were interesting.

But having said that they do fall into a category all their own + are definetly a curiosity,Usually a alternate fuel test bed car wouldn't interest me,because their whole claim to fame is just the use of a diff fuel, + not a performance thing like a yenko camaro,callaway corvette,shelby mustang or a gnx,but they are different and there was only a few made,so they are a niche car and would have some extra value,but i think the upside would be limited, mainly do to the lack of interest in, or pizazz of an alternative fuel car.If they wern't turbo cars they would prob all be gone by now simply because their is not alot interest in that aspect in the collector car world,these are still around because of the fact they are buick turbo cars AND an alt fuel car.If they wern't turbo cars when the university sold them they would have prob been sold for $500 and driven till they died or,they would have just been scrapped or been donated to charity if no one bid on them,but because they were tr's people bought them.
I'll have to read the whole story on them again,I thought it was interesting when i read it before.
It's a cool car to own,i would keep it, Has their been any big dollar transfers for 1 of these cars, because somebody just had to have an alternative fuel car. I'd be curious to know what they would bring,they definetly wouldn't aproach what a gnx would bring, but would have a premium over a comparable conditioned t-type, This is not to shoot the cars down,they are definetly unique + therefore cool + the fact that their were so few makes them even cooler,but would someone spring the big bucks for one.The tv show should up the interest on them.
Actually the more i think about it they are kind of a pilot car,or a prototype, but for a car that never materialized, Imagine if they did,there might have been a 88or 89 or even 90 turbo regal.+ these would be prototypes for those cars
Are any of them still in unmodified ,excellent original condition.
Dammit, now you got me thinking about them :eek:,who knows I may be pm'ing you for what the "Right" amount of coinage is,after i read the write up about them again ,or see the show. Thanks for the reply.

Us Normal folks prorobably won't be able to park next to you at the Nats next year.
Lol,keep taking those excellentg pics.I will be showing next year again,soo finish up yours already,lol.

when i said if you are the owner of such a car,+ want to sell pm me,in the original post, i didn't mean 1 of the alt fuel cars, I meant a pre- production, or pilot vehicle,or special dealer built car sold as new.I was just commenting that i had seen the (doe) cars + thought they were interesting.

But having said that they do fall into a category all their own + are definetly a curiosity,Usually a alternate fuel test bed car wouldn't interest me,because their whole claim to fame is just the use of a diff fuel, + not a performance thing like a yenko camaro,callaway corvette,shelby mustang or a gnx,but they are different and there was only a few made,so they are a niche car and would have some extra value,but i think the upside would be limited, mainly do to the lack of interest in, or pizazz of an alternative fuel car.If they wern't turbo cars they would prob all be gone by now simply because their is not alot interest in that aspect in the collector car world,these are still around because of the fact they are buick turbo cars AND an alt fuel car.If they wern't turbo cars when the university sold them they would have prob been sold for $500 and driven till they died or,they would have just been scrapped or been donated to charity if no one bid on them,but because they were tr's people bought them.
I'll have to read the whole story on them again,I thought it was interesting when i read it before.
It's a cool car to own,i would keep it, Has their been any big dollar transfers for 1 of these cars, because somebody just had to have an alternative fuel car. I'd be curious to know what they would bring,they definetly wouldn't aproach what a gnx would bring, but would have a premium over a comparable conditioned t-type, This is not to shoot the cars down,they are definetly unique + therefore cool + the fact that their were so few makes them even cooler,but would someone spring the big bucks for one.The tv show should up the interest on them.
Actually the more i think about it they are kind of a pilot car,or a prototype, but for a car that never materialized, Imagine if they did,there might have been a 88or 89 or even 90 turbo regal.+ these would be prototypes for those cars
Are any of them still in unmodified ,excellent original condition.
Dammit, now you got me thinking about them :eek:,who knows I may be pm'ing you for what the "Right" amount of coinage is,after i read the write up about them again ,or see the show. Thanks for the reply.

After owning this one,the alt fuel aspect is why I love it so much.not just the rareity,but from a performance aspect.I run e85 fuel now is 106 octance and costs less than reg unleaded.

After owning this one,the alt fuel aspect is why I love it so much.not just the rareity,but from a performance aspect.I run e85 fuel now is 106 octance and costs less than reg unleaded.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I went back and read your thread about them again,(IT was quite a while ago when i had read it.)They really are interesting cars,rare, unique, desirable.It makes me want to go out + kick my car just for not being one of those.
Anybody find the guy who had the wrecked one + get the orig e85 parts.If i had 1 of these I'd want those as spares.
I would also say the alternative fuel thing takes on special meaning in this case because it's a turbo car + can really use the octane,like you said. Not just a case of a gov. trying to be green or use a dif fuel for other reasons.
Yup cool car.

I have a 10k mile 86 GN I'd sell. Since it's an 86, you could call it a pilot car for the 87's. :D;)

Brad Conely owns the GSX and GNX prototypes.

I own "The Most Optioned 1987 GN" with factory and dealer paperwork.
It was ordered by a dealer as an investment and I got the factory to dealer paperwork that retail customers never saw.

Shows dealer cost for car and each option in one column and customer cost in next column. Allows you to see the profit dealer made on everything that was ordered on the car.

Every piece of paperwork I have for this car (LOTS) has the VIN# of my car on the document. Pretty cool stuff!

Brad Conely owns the GSX and GNX prototypes.

I own "The Most Optioned 1987 GN" with factory and dealer paperwork.
It was ordered by a dealer as an investment and I got the factory to dealer paperwork that retail customers never saw.

Shows dealer cost for car and each option in one column and customer cost in next column. Allows you to see the profit dealer made on everything that was ordered on the car.

Every piece of paperwork I have for this car (LOTS) has the VIN# of my car on the document. Pretty cool stuff!

can you list all the options?

Attachments

• BGN01280A_P1010018.jpg
    BGN01280A_P1010018.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 279
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 277