Piston Identification

Buicksandrail

I have my heads off and am trying to ID the pistons to determine compression ratio. The pistons are aluminum with valve reliefs with 2232P stamped on them. They are .030 oversize. Can anyone ID these?

Thanks,

Trent

So I'm searching ebay on my slow home computer. While I'm doing this, I grab a book (V-6 Performance) and start thumbing thru it while pages download. I get to the piston section and something looks familar.....

"For normally-aspirated street performance, a good choice would be the Sealed Power 2232P forged, slightly dished pisotn, wihich gives approximately 10:1 compression in the V-6"

It's actually a Buick 350 piston. Kenne-Bell sold them with machined valve reliefs for larger cams. The pin boss may be machined as well for an even fire crank.

Piston ID

Rich,

You are the man for finding that info. Thanks. Here is the question:

I already have the engine converted to turbo. I know there was a risk because I didn't know what the compression ratio was at. I blew the head gasket the first time I got on it hard going up a sand hill. The boost was somewhere between 5-10 when it blew. I will have to test the TCC to see if it is functioning. Since the CR is high should I go back to N/A? It appears that running 10:1 will hurt my ability to boost, and stock CR is somewhere in the 9's. I really don't want to worry about a head gasket again. I am unwilling to change the pistons at this time.

Any input is appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Trent

Actually the stock CR is 8:1. You coud try things to reduce the detonation, (like lowering the boost, retarding the timing, etc.), that that would just defeat the purpose of turbocharging, IMO. I think going with a 4-barrel NA would be the right thing to do. Plus no turbo lag.

Even with a 4-barrel NA, I would try keeping the knock sensor, since at 10:1, detonation is still going to be an issue. Factory 4.1's and later 3.8 NA's used ESC, so it's not just a turbo thing.

I ran 10.4:1 on 93 oct pump gas w/o problems. Use 34 deg total timing and a smallish carb and 1-1/2" headers. GB