Piston rings problem...I think.

T

tc86gn

I need some advice please from some of you guys that are running TRW forged Pistons. I have a set of sealed power rings and I cannot get the proper gap. .030 is the smallest gap I can get. I do not know if I just got a bad set or what.
I am pretty sure that the proper gap is .022. Is this correct?
Has anyone else run into the same problem? Is there another brand that you guys would reccomend to get the proper gap? I do not know if I should order another set hoping that they will be right. Thanks in advance.

TOM:confused:

I think that some ring set do come in a"file fit" size, and you can get the clearance that you need. I do have a set of Sealed Power rings and I don't think that this ring set is a file fit, the p/n is E-434K 30, if your ring set is the same number that may be your problem.
hope this helps

Are they going into a freshly bored and honed block or is this a re-ring situation where the bores were honed out to break the glaze, etc??? If it is a re-ring, then the honing operation may have taken the bore's diameter a thousandth or two bigger which would end up enlarging the gap on the rings...