Please help!!! Can anyone identify the turbo I bought for my car?

Quigs

Trained monkey
I bought this turbo from a guy he thought it was a TE44 but apparently it is not.:confused:

I was told this after I had a fitment issue with the compressor housing hitting the coolant hose that comes of the top of the water pump.:eek:

If I need to take more pics tell me and I will do it. But explain what pics I should take such as comparing it to the stock turbo and with a tapemeasure to see the size of anything.

That has got to be bigger than a TE44. Tough to tell exactly what it is :frown: .

looks like a 63 to me

Yeah. Whatever it is, it isn't a 44. It's pretty big. I don't get how it's interfering with the upper radiator hose, though. I could see if it had a 4" inlet and the MAF pipe would push it down, but how is the turbo itself interfering with the hose?

Jim

Yeah, I have a 72GTQ with a 4 inch MAF pipe and it doesnt interfere with anything except the IAC, so where and how is yours touching the upper radiator hose?

EDIT: Okay, I misunderstood. After looking at the pics it looks like it's interfering with the bypass hose on the pump. My bad. That's a big honkin' turbo.

My T70 is touching that hose but not 'interfering' so much. You may try clocking that compressor housing. However, it's a lot more turbo than you thought you were getting.

Here's pics of my T70 with the bypass hose (yes, it appears as if my turbo drain hose is leaking - I'm glad I snapped this pic):
t70_water_hose-1.jpg

I'd have to wonder how someone could mistake a TE44 for a T70. Where did he get it?

Jim

well I bought it from him after he had a stroke so he might have given me one of his other turbos (he had 4 or 5)

What do T70s go for???

More than TE44's ;)

Seriously, I don't know. If you really think he made a mistake and you want a TE44 maybe you should let him know. If you don't have the hardware to make use of a T70 it's not going to be of much use to you.

Jim

Well I have a cam, some head work, ported intake, I'm buying a 3in downpipe, I have 36lb hr right now and a big FMIC

What else do I need to run it? I'm already looking for 55lb hr injectors and a stall?

What are the stats on the T70

Well I have a cam, some head work, ported intake, I'm buying a 3in downpipe, I have 36lb hr right now and a big FMIC

What else do I need to run it? I'm already looking for 55lb hr injectors and a stall?

What are the stats on the T70

The biggest thing is enough stall to spool it. Here is Precision's chart. It shows the 70 turbos in the "850 HP" range: Precision Turbo & Engine - Turbocharger, Intercooler, Fuel Injector, Performance Parts & more!

IMO, unless you have at least 3500 RPM stall it's going to be pretty laggy. If it was a great deal and you think you'd eventually outgrow a TE44 anyway I'd try to make the T70 work.

Jim

Well I'm ordering the downpipe tomorrow and I think Ill try it and if there is to much lag I'll call him up and buy another turbo from him because he gave me to good of a deal to not hold on to it or try it.

The exhaust size looks like a Q-trim. That wastegate hole is opened up pretty big. Make sure when you put your new DP on, that it doesn't block the exhaust wheel and that to puck covers the wastegate hole on the exhaust housing. The flange on the 3" DP probably will need to be grinded. You might be better off getting a 3.5" DP.

The compressor inlet has a 3" or 4" option. Looks like something 70ish.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Hey if its a 70 and you got a good deal screw it and just use it. If it spools slow think of it as traction control. It will pull hard in the big end.

Just by looking at the turbo, whatever it is, you are going to need more injector...