please help me get a list of parts - oil pan gasket and rear main seal replacement

j13smiley

ok... so i'm going to try to get my leaky car fixed before winter storage time... can't tell if it's the seal or the just the oil pan gasket. so i'm gonna have a buddy pull the tranny and replace the rear main seal and replace the pan gasket at the same time.

i want to get all the parts myself to make sure he puts the right stuff back on... so can anyone tell me what parts i should get (what oil pan gasket is recommended, and i have no idea what parts i need to do a rear main seal)...

thanks!

First you do not have to remove tranny to replace rear main seal unless you have some other reason for removing tranny. Second you can get the seal and gasket from Kirbans Performance. You will also need some black O/2 safe silicone.

Jicaju said:
First you do not have to remove tranny to replace rear main seal unless you have some other reason for removing tranny. Second you can get the seal and gasket from Kirbans Performance. You will also need some black O/2 safe silicone.

is there a writeup for rear main seal replacement? i don't know much about it... i'd like to learn though...

There have been many posts about it. If I can get the search function on here to work tonight I'll post a link.

Jason

ok - yes i've seen that writeup before. that's what i was going to do to replace my oil pan gasket myself - jack up the motor and put a 2x4 between the motor mount and engine... but i'd be jacking and lowering the engine by jacking hte oil pan... hence wouldn't i be crushing my new oil pan gasket when lowering the motor back down? my buddy says he can remove the tranny - and then be able to replace the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket without having to jack up the motor.... is that correct?

j13smiley said:
ok - yes i've seen that writeup before. that's what i was going to do to replace my oil pan gasket myself - jack up the motor and put a 2x4 between the motor mount and engine... but i'd be jacking and lowering the engine by jacking hte oil pan... hence wouldn't i be crushing my new oil pan gasket when lowering the motor back down? my buddy says he can remove the tranny - and then be able to replace the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket without having to jack up the motor.... is that correct?

I doubt he could do it. You have to jack the motor up to get the oil pan out, or atleast I did even with the transmission out. I just removed the passeneger side motor mount and used an engine hoist and attach it to the eyelit on the front of the motor and jacked it up a little that way.

You don't need to remove the tranny. You just stand a piece of 2x4 up between the jackpad and the bolt heads of the oil pan. Jack the engine up slowly after unbolting the engine mounts using this 2x4. Then you stick the 2x4 between the engine mount and the engine. Keep a close on the wiper motor area and I think I disconnected the intercooler from the engine.
This how I did mine. Hope that helps......

TTA197 said:
You don't need to remove the tranny. You just stand a piece of 2x4 up between the jackpad and the bolt heads of the oil pan. Jack the engine up slowly after unbolting the engine mounts using this 2x4. Then you stick the 2x4 between the engine mount and the engine. Keep a close on the wiper motor area and I think I disconnected the intercooler from the engine.
This how I did mine. Hope that helps......

I wouldn't suggest supporting the engine with a 2x4. You're going to be working down around there and you don't want your engine to fall and cause any damage.

You're only jacking the engine a few inches (just enough to get the oil pan out) if the 2x4 fails, the engine isn't going anywhere but back where it was sitting.

Anyway, that's how I did it. Worked for me. I didn't have an engine hoist at the time. If you have a hoist then that would be a safer way of doing this.