Plumbing a coolant crossover in the back of the heads

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Anyone plumb a crossover in the back of the heads on out motors to improve cyl head cooling/flow. I know BBC and SBC guys do it all the time

The intake manifold looks like it would be easy enough to tap the fittings into and plumb in a flex hose to the other side.
Maybe help with hot spots in the head and or better flow in general to assist in detonation suppression by pulling the heat out of the head better.

What's the crossover supposed to accomplish? If I'm picturing it right in my head there should be no flow through it... maybe just balance the pressures on the two sides so you don't get the alternating flow described by Smokey Yunick?

John

Haven't posted in a LONG time but I tapped both sides and T'd them together and brought that hose all the way to the heater lines where the TB coolant lines used to run. Didn't see any big difference but wasn't having any problems before hand either.

It probably helps the coolant flow at the back of the engine which is why I did it.:)

I don't see it hurting to run a crossover line, but I doubt it's worth the effort unless you have tied to the water pump in some fashion. What I have seen people do that helps cylinder head cooling would be tap into water coming from the water pump and run it to the back of the head that way a portion on the coolant in the head wouldn't have to run through the block first. I considered tapping into the front cover water passage on each side behind the water pump and running a line to the back of the head via the intake manifold, but I didn't feel the need for the work and expense for a minimal gain. I just put a 160* thermostat and have a good radiator and fans.