Police checkpoints, speed traps

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
Demolition man

Can some one explain to me why it is a bad thing for police to see if people are wearing there seat belt. Has anyone seen someone who was in a decent accident that wasn't wearing a seat belt? Maybe those who haven't seen it need to. God forbid someone is trying to help you save yourself.

Well the biggest reason is it dilutes the gene pool and makes the human race stupider overall. The idiots that don't realize the importance of wearing a seltbelt are protected by law and forced to behave in a manner beyond their intelligence level. They end up living and breeding where they would otherwise a good portion fo them would be dead before getting a chance to breed.:D

Sully

WHAT RESPECT??????????

....and I respect them.
Mark

Mark,

You are only half right.......they expect respect, however, they have no respect for you unless you are one of them or own a doughnut shop and provide them with free doughnuts.

HOW

Originally posted by roc87
I have an opionion about the seat belt law (Who doesn't?), but personally I believe the only reason, aside from making money with the tickets, for them to hand out tickets for no-seatbelt usage, is that the government wants you to continue living so you can pay more taxes! If you were to die in a car accident because of not using the seatbelt, look at all the tax money they would be losing!

So we can pay more taxes:confused:

This is so we can pay less taxes and insurance rates. There are about 45,000 deaths per year and 800,000 injuries. Of those about 200,000 are left with permanent injuries. Most people are taken to publicly funded emergency rooms. If they can't pay or don't have insurance guess who pays for it? WE DO. The less injuries the less we tax payers pay.

And V6 Beast. 100% Right On:cool: :D

well I am not too sure about "Spot Checks", I like when they hang out on the exit ramps of Surise Highway here on Long Island NY, these are fairly tight turns and before you know it you are on top of them (the copppers). I think they are looking at inspection expirations but it may be seat belts too.

I know if it is night time and a cop is "hiding" he HAS to have a light on of some sort: parking lights, interior lights otherwise it is entrapment. Also about them "letting" you brake the law such as chasing you for 2 miles at 80mph and then turning the lights on and siren. Things get interesting in court when that happens so I have heard.

Seatbelt useage is for what ever reasons a good idea.

Trouble is the gummit thinks that it has to force thier useage.

Just like dropping the BAL to .08 is a good thing, but it doesn't stop the chronic drunks. And Prohabition was a complete failure.

How about tobacco use?.
How about cell phone use?.
Unsafe Sex.
Eating while driving.

Then in the interest of less pollution how about out lawing A/C in cars, then how about in houses, and office buildings?.

The trouble with giving the gummit some power, is that they don't know when to quit.

If in doubt take a close look at the EPA. The Supreme Court had to intervene, at one point and say, EZ guys. Cause they're so out of control.

Or that the Feds are using the threat of with holding highway funds to force the states into submission. Now that is pure nonsense. Withholding tax dollars, and the states aren't willing to challenge that?.

"I know if it is night time and a cop is "hiding" he HAS to have a light on of some sort"

Don't know about that. I see them in the median completely dark from time to time. The only indication being a reflection from my headlights where I know there shouldn't be one.

Yesterday I was driving the GN through town and I saw a minivan parked in a usually abandoned lot behind some trees. It was pointed out at the road.

I glanced over as I drove by and there are two guys in it with an assortment of 'stuff' on the dash including a radar gun :)

Now that is an undercover ride!!!

why is it legal to set up a random check point and check for drunk drivers-- there is no probable cause for those stops-- then if it somehow is ok because of the drunk driver thing how can they go beyond that and check these motorist for outstanding warrants when there is no indication they are drunk?

police cant set up a random check point to check for drug traffickers or bank robbers(when no robbery has just occurred nearby)

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
Can some one explain to me why it is a bad thing for police to see if people are wearing there seat belt. Has anyone seen someone who was in a decent accident that wasn't wearing a seat belt? Maybe those who haven't seen it need to. God forbid someone is trying to help you save yourself.

I can look out for myself thanks. It's called free will

Originally posted by Rage
I can look out for myself thanks. It's called free will

How dare you question politicians, they will send the IRS and police after you.

The reason they can do what they do is because of the following. Driving on a public roadway is considered a "priviledge." It is not considered a "right." When you accept a drivers license, you are giving "implied consent" to such things. For instance, if you get stopped for DWI/DUI and do not consent to giving a sample of breath, blood or urine, your license is suspended. You have given "implied consent" for such tests.

They own the roads, they make the rules.

They are just doing this to generate revenue for the city, and that’s the bottom line. If the goverment really cared about safety on the roads they would station several cops near each bars on Friday and Saturday nights and nab every drunk, or impaired driver there is. That would make the roads much safer, heck and in would make plenty of cash for the city too.

But stationing cops around bars as such would infringe on the extra cash lining the pockets of Chattanooga finest, The bribes many establishments give to officers so they will stay away. And if you don’t give a bribe the police will be around the place and then the bar has a bad reputation as so many people got DUI's near it. This might not go one in every city but I have seen it go on first hand where I live.

I could keep on ranting but it will not do any good.

Originally posted by V6 Beast
Well the biggest reason is it dilutes the gene pool and makes the human race stupider overall. The idiots that don't realize the importance of wearing a seltbelt are protected by law and forced to behave in a manner beyond their intelligence level. They end up living and breeding where they would otherwise a good portion fo them would be dead before getting a chance to breed.:D

Sully

hell yeah, natural selection it's only natural.