Polyurethane Bushings

TryMeGT

I am going to pull the rearend and put an Eaton posi and Moser axles in over the winter. Stock unit and axles are good but I have a fresh motor and transmission in it, so I figured I would replace the posi before it is the weak link in the chain. Question is; should I replace the upper and lower control arm bushing with poly urethane while I am there (either Prothane or Energy Suspension). Will this be advantageous? Mine are original with ~90,000 miles. 60ft. is usually around 1.65-1.7. I plan on boxing the LCA's too since they are out, but is poly the way to go or will new Moog bushings suffice. Just wanting to know what works. Thanks

depends

poly is stiffer, and will firm up the suspension
but..... poly squeaks, lube it, grease it, and it still squeaks. every time suspension moves it squeaks, annoying!
OEM/ MOOG no noise, and new ones are firmer than old stuff, and no noise.
so. take your choice, race car- poly, street car- rubber thats my choice!

Poly bushing can cause the rear suspension to bind. Go with the rubber 1LE bushings.

I just went through this back in the summer. I was worried about the ploy squeeking ect...
I decided to go with the HR upper and lowers with Energy poly bushings. Well.... I can honestly tell you I didn't notice any difference in ride quality one bit. Car is nice and quiet while driving on the street and the car is in the 1.60's in the 60'. Everything else is stock and no sway bar.
The HR bars are nice pieces, and I'm impressed with there design (allows for the grease to completely lube the bushing) and maybe that's a big factor.
So, in short to answer your question. I would stay with new rubber in a stock arm. And go poly if using an arm like the HR. Hope this helps, Jim

Thanks Guys. I think I will go with the OE replacements. My car already has enough unknown squeaks:biggrin: The car is street driven but sees it share at the tracks for fun. Appreciate the insights, they are in line with what I have read and what I thought.

I am curious, how fast are you wanting to go?

Axles and a braced cover will last deep into the 10's. No need to replace the stock gears and posi when only going the short times you mentioned. I do those all the time on DR and Et streets and other than axles and a girdled rear cover I have never broken it yet.

As far as the bushings, If doing the rear end, I use he hrpartsnstuff rear bushings. They are poly and I have never had them squeek yet. I do the perform periodic mainteneace on them in the spring. Clean grease and away we go.

Hope this helps.

poly is stiffer, and will firm up the suspension
but..... poly squeaks, lube it, grease it, and it still squeaks. every time suspension moves it squeaks, annoying!
OEM/ MOOG no noise, and new ones are firmer than old stuff, and no noise.
so. take your choice, race car- poly, street car- rubber thats my choice!

I hear alot about squeaking problems, however, I have never had that issue. I use lithium grease.

I am curious, how fast are you wanting to go?

Axles and a braced cover will last deep into the 10's. No need to replace the stock gears and posi when only going the short times you mentioned. I do those all the time on DR and Et streets and other than axles and a girdled rear cover I have never broken it yet.

As far as the bushings, If doing the rear end, I use he hrpartsnstuff rear bushings. They are poly and I have never had them squeek yet. I do the perform periodic mainteneace on them in the spring. Clean grease and away we go.

Hope this helps.

Car will go 11.xx. Motor can probably go high 10's but not my intention to push it that far and I would run out of injector before then anyway. It went 11.97 at Dragway 42 in November on 19lbs of boost. I keep the car in the "safe" zone. I would like 1.5x short times but I am just putting the Eaton in because I got a brand new one for $150 and while it is apart, I might as well put the axles in. I will save the stock stuff if ever needed later. By the way, you know me. Remember the wiring harness brackets for the firewall and heater box you gave me:)

I helped a friend do all polygraphite and we lubed em up with vasoline, installed zerks up front and not one noise.

did another friends monte the same way and the car sounds like two fat people making love on a spring board mattress

I did my 76 vette graphite up front and minimal squeak. some guys are using the The PTFE impregnated Acetal which im not familar with but i have read theres some sort of deflection problem associated with them

Ive seen posts on other forums with guys using marvels mystery oil blended with some other concoction, the white lithium, soaked in PB, eye of bat.

I guess what it comes down to is here in Mich we have washboard roads and its hard to keep anything nice but if your in AZ or somewhere with killer pavement then id go with that graphite black up front and oem in back

you guys are lucky ( no squeak)

I bought a new sliverado last month, lowered it 3-4 , and now my brand new truck squeaks, yea, poly bushings, I drilled grrease fitting into the bushings, have only driven it couple hundred miles, so will see,