Pontiac GTP Turbo

tommyguns

I dont know the year but its the black model with gold wheels and the turbo hood. I saw one on the side of a business collecting pollen and dirt.
Im sure it can be had for cheap after talking to the owner.
My concern is this. Is the drivetrain strong enough for mods? And can they be made fast? I think the body style isnt bad.
Also, are there any sites that deal with these cars? Thanx guys.

i think they only made them for a couple years, so parts are hard to come by.
is it an auto or 5 speed model? if it's a 5 speed, that makes it kind of cool in it's own special way.
i don't think they are terribly fast or specia, other than the oddball turbocharged 3.1 (or was it a 2.8?) motors in them. and just like every other top of the line Pontiac of the time, they are prone to electrical gremlins on top of electrical gremlins.. they threw every piece of technology at some of those cars, and it hasn't aged well..

http://www.turbograndprix.com/

I think they are really neat ... rare ... but there is NO aftermarket or support for mods. That would be a "keep it stock" car , but stock isnt really fun ... most stock cars TODAY make way more power ---

They are not good cars. Brake and electrical issues galore, among other issues. Plan to spend a bunch of cash if you buy it.

They were pretty neat cars at the time. I had a red one. Heads up display, built in trip computer/compass, turbo 3.1, individually adjustable leg supports on the seats etc. Rare and a second cousin, once removed to the GNX (both modded by McLauren). Decent power for then but now, heavy, slow, and no where near what the supercharged GTP's and Regal GS's can do. Would I like to have another one, maybe if I got it for almost free. :biggrin: