POSI clutch replacement...

Mike_G

Stock ? MUHAHAH Yes Why?
Anybody ever replace the clutches on a stock posi unit, mines on Its way out ? If so did you use steel or carbon fiber? How difficult is it ? Any hint or tips are greatly appreciated....

I changed mine and installed new GM clutches. It was fairly simple until i got to the part where you have to put the spider gears back in. It is a M'fer trying to get the clutches to slip enough to spin those gears back in. Maybe someone knows an easier way to get them back in?? I basically had to pound them around with a brass drift:mad: Frank:D

Stick in an axleshaft into the axle and turn it. It should rotate the pinion gears into place. You need make sure that both gears are in the same (correct) position. Use grease to hold the thrust washers onto the pinions. May need a cheater bar on the axle as well a friend. It shouldn't be too difficult to turn since the preload spring isn't installed.

If you have a choice in clutch material, choose metal. It lasts longer. Carbon fiber is the next best. After that is semi-metallic.

FWIW, our plant builds several million of these a year for another automaker.