Possible to change tranny fluid lines with motor and tranny still in the car?

Turbojorge

Unstoppable
One of my lines has a small hole right between the motor and the cross member (thats what it's called right?) I can't even get in their to cut and use a rubber hose in it's place. It leaks pretty bad while driving. Can I run new tranny fluid lines? If not, what can I do to stop this leak! :mad:

TIA

Cut the line where you can. Make sure you get the right one on each end too! :eek:

And in between use some tube with compression fittings or else a nice piece of fuel injection hose and double clamps.

Should last you about 8-10 years so you will have time to replace the lines. :)

I'm gonna get a new tranny in salvageV6 and will be putting in a used set from Brian Weaver.

They were reasonable used for the set.

Be careful like I said if you use a die grinder, I ended up with 2 splices instead of one. :(

You will get very messy too.

A local tranny shop prolly could do the splice with compression fittings and properly bent line for about $100.

Just my .02 from having to do all of the above.

Talk about getting messy, I had drit and grese in my eyes. My hand are still dark! :mad: I spent 5 hours under that thing yesterday! :mad:

I couldn't find a place where I could cut with that thing that you clamp on to the lines and spin in a circle. :mad: I started using a small saw but then remembered that metal could get in their and then I'd be worse.

I disconected the line from the tranny and sliped about 10" of rubber tubbing and then clamped it where it was leaking. I think that stopped that leak, but now it's dripping from the conection to the tranny! It's worse than what I had before! :mad:

Leaks on my crossover pipe and smokes all over the place! :mad:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I hope you didnt strip that fitting for it to leak like it is now. I have just recenetly made all new hard lines for my new tranny , a TH400. It was very easy , just some brake line, 2 compression fittings and patience. I was able to make both in 4 pieces, 2 each side. I was able to eliminate a lot of the bends and kinks in the factory units.

been there on 3 cars. The lines seem to wear from rubbing and "bleed" through like a flesh wound. I've cut the rear side of the line (with short hacksaw) where it is past the frame. Slide the hi-press hose over and the full length so it came out on the front side of the frame. Double clamps on both ends of the hose and things dried up fast.

ordered pre-formed/bent lines from a guy on ebay who sells them for all makes/models/years for about $70. They were delivered in nice box looked real good and then I realized there wasn't any way I know how to get them on with the tranny and motor in the car. I put them on the side and when the motors come out - they'll replace the rubber lines which are still holding.

I wouldn't only clamp the rubber tube where you think the leak is but on both ends of this hose so it acts as a complete conduit.

I'm sure the gurus think this is stupid way to fix the problem but sometimes you do what you have to do...

Well, it's not coming from the tranny fitting, so I didn't strip it. It has a new leak right where it meets up with Mr. Alternator :mad:

What a mess. :mad:

Can't I just make new lines from SS braided hose? The same type you would use for the Fuel Pressure gauge. I know it's impossible to run new "stock" type lines without removing the motor and tranny out of the way.
:mad:

I hope you mean MR Starter. If your lines are leaking where the alternator is you must have a different car then me ;)

Tranny fluid is quite slippery and thin. It flows easily and it's hard to find the leak. If you can get under the car with someone in it to start/stop it (safely) you should be able to find where it is coming from. You may have put the hose on the wrong line or maybe both lines are leaking because they rubbed each other.

I know this is a pain but you'll have it fixed eventually...

Sure you can use SS hose. Use the stuff with rubber liner in it however not the thick teflon stuff. It don't bend much easier than the steel line. ;)

I'd just leave the existing fittings and stubbs of pipe and use some 5/16 line and some clamps at each end.

Lotsa ways to get tranny fluid to a cooler.

Relatively low pressure not all that volatile and hose size and fittings are easy to get.

Doing it without a lift would suck.

Alternator...lol

It was cold yesturday morning and the alternator wasn't charging correctly. But yeah, I meant starter. :eek:

Anyways, I went to a local tranny shop and they made complete new lines out of coper with compressed fittings and everything is well now. Cost me $150.

I prolly could have done it myself but I didn't feel like jacking the car back up and getting down their with the creaper. Specially after being down their all day Saturday and Sunday.

Plus, it was leaking right on my crossover pipe so I was affraid to catch on Fire. :eek:

Are coper lines O.K.? They feel strong.

Took me about 1 hr. of trying to install the lines with tranny and engine in the car. Patience of trying it from the front from the rear. Finally got it from the rear. Installed extremely thick shrink tubing around lines where they go over the crossmember. Prevenitive measure only. It was a pain though.

They may fatigue over a few years but should work alright.

My splices were only about a foot in length with the copper tube and compression fittings.

No problems in over 3 years until I had to go rubber line when I cut the splice up with my die grinder trying to get a cat. off. :rolleyes:

Not sure about doing the whole transmission line in copper?

Originally posted by salvageV6
They may fatigue over a few years but should work alright.

Not sure about doing the whole transmission line in copper?

Yeah, I know, but atleast their is no more leak and smoke coming out from the bottom of my car. I know I'll eventually get a new set of the right ones in their. Hell, my tranny has maybe a dozen passes left in it (slight slip from 2nd to 3rd) so I'll do it then.

Man, you should see my driveway! I had a cardboard box under their and that turned black and shrunk!

I guess it's just things you have to look forward to on a 160,000 mile car.

Thanks for the help guys.
:cool:

Jorge last winter my problem was leaky fuel lines in the middle of the winter.

Didn't help my driveway either. :eek:

With the temps. we have this winter, if I had to work on the car outside I woulda torched it for heat. :D

I like the braided line idea too. :)

Wish I had some line with rubber liner instead of the rigid teflon stuff I got for free. Much easier to work with.