Potential buyer, Huntsville Al and intro

tabascojohn

This is my first post, although I have been lurking for some time. First let me introduce myself. My name is John and I am considering getting into a Turbo Buick. I can remember the first time I saw a GN. It was in 1988, I was in high school and my dad and I went to a Buick dealer just to look around. And there it was sitting in the show room. I remember thinking to myself that is a cool looking car. I also remember the salesman saying how quick it was and that not many people were aware of the cars performance.

I didn’t really pay too much attention to what he said. Little did I know his words would be proven to me about 4 years later. At that time I was in college and had saved enough money to buy my dream car which at that time was a 1990 charcoal metallic 6spd corvette. I thought my car could beat just about anything out there. Well, on a warm summer evening my cousin and I pulled up to a stop light on Countyline Rd just south of the I55 on ramp in Burr Ridge Il. A few seconds later a shiny black GN pulls up next to us. The driver of the GN and I were both looking over each others car. We both gave a little nod. When the light turned green I managed to get a jump on him, about a car length. Then my cousin and I heard this high pitched whine and then we saw the Buick shoot past us and our jaws just dropped. We could not believe what the hell just happened.

Anyway, ever since then I have had an admiration for these cars. I am now 38, live in Huntsville, Al and have 2 young children and thought this would be a good family hobby. There are very few cars that are this quick, cool, and can fit four comfortably. But before taking the plunge I would like to hear some of your Buick turbo car purchase experiences ( good and bad), and if you could answer the following questions:

Can I get a descent car for around $14k? I was thinking of getting a car with some mods but nothing too extreme. I would like to be able to run high 11’s at the track and be in the 12’s on the street. I also want to be able to drive it to work and get descent fuel mileage( low to mid 20’s mpg)

How much should I expect to spend the 1st year after purchase to get a reliable driver?

What are common problems with these cars? ( I have searched but I really don’t know what to search for)

Are these cars difficult to work on and are the finicky?

How much do you guys spend annually on maintenance and upkeep?

I know each car is unique and it is difficult to generalize but if you could give me ballpark figures.

Thanks for your time.
I look forward to reading your responses
John

Oh one other thing, are there many owners in the Northern Al area?

welcome

Welcome aboard john... i'm from Sylvania,al.. they are few guys in your area that has buicks. You go the huntsville dragway any. i think they are having test and tune on sunday's. You not to far from some other dragstrips in your area.

The way things sre now you should be able to pick up a car a little cheaper that that now. These cars are alway's something you can put money into them, adding performance parts and so, and still drive them. If you buy one make sure you get a good scan tool like the scanmaster and or the powerlogger. Also do alot of research before you do anything with these cars, that will help out alot. they are alot of guys on here that will help out with the questions or problems you will be having down the road, dont feel bad when something goes wrong because its alraedy happen to someone else. Good luck.. find you a car, and start play'n... if your over this way,, stop in, your always welcome. monk

Thanks for the warm welcome.
How long have you had one?

Here is a pic of what I drive. I sure wish I would had bought a GN.
My car is too slow.
I bought the car last year. I have to sell it first before I can go for buick.
Looks like my car is going to cost me about $ 2k a year for maintanence and up keep. Its an 87.

Is that about how much it will cost to maintain a Grand National? That's doing all the labor myself.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 212
gn;s

I've had mine for over 10 years so far. Its hard to say for upkeep. i have other cars to drive. these cars will put you stranded at times. so you might want to buy you an old beater to get around to be on the safe side.

Can I get a descent car for around $14k? I was thinking of getting a car with some mods but nothing too extreme. I would like to be able to run high 11’s at the track and be in the 12’s on the street. I also want to be able to drive it to work and get descent fuel mileage( low to mid 20’s mpg)

How much should I expect to spend the 1st year after purchase to get a reliable driver?

What are common problems with these cars? ( I have searched but I really don’t know what to search for)

Are these cars difficult to work on and are the finicky?

How much do you guys spend annually on maintenance and upkeep?

I know each car is unique and it is difficult to generalize but if you could give me ballpark figures.

Thanks for your time.
I look forward to reading your responses
John

Oh one other thing, are there many owners in the Northern Al area?

Welcome!! :cool: I live in Guntersville and come to Huntsville all the time. To answer a few of your questions...

Yes, you can pick up a real nice car for the price range you are looking at... If you aren't absolutely hooked on Black/GN, you may want to consider a Turbo T/T-type as they tend to be less costly and are the exact same car, just different trim packages.... and available any color you like... including black! ;)

High 11's/low 12's is EASILY achievable with these cars on a street tune.... and still lope down the freeway at 75 mph, getting 20+ mpg, with the A/C blowing ice (important around here!!)....:biggrin: It will require alot of studying/learning on your part to really understand the state of tune of your car and how all the sensors interact, and some basic, non-outrageous bolt ons.... and most importantly, a proper scantool and data logging equipment to keep an eye on things/maintain the state of tune...

These cars aren't any more maintenance dependent than any other 20 year old GM car... although it can be a bit expensive at first to get everything (sensors, ect.) up to par. It seems alot of owners don't really work at understanding the cars, and thus they tend to need a good bit of 'sorting out' after the initial purchase. Once there, they are pretty darn reliable...

Finicky?? Well, I would say definitely yes.... BUT, like I mentioned, once you obtain a good understanding of the workings of these cars, and get it sorted, then the 'finicky-ness' sort of becomes much less of an issue, as you understand what all is going on... and of course, you catch the first hint of any 'finicky' behaviour because you are monitering/checking things with your scantool/logger all the time... really, it's fun and extremely satisfying to REALLY understand all that's going on with the car...

There are quite a few turbobuick people around here that have alot of time with these cars. I've had mine for 14 years, and feel I have a pretty good grasp on things.... although there's ALWAYS something to learn.... I've said it many times.... I learn something nearly every time I'm on these boards.

$$ on maintenance and upkeep - per year?? I don't know, not much.... $500? Maybe $1000-1500 1st year getting things sorted....You will probably spend alot more on modifications/improvements than maint... Will depend on the condition of the car you end up buying...

Best advice in your search for a car?? TAKE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THESE CARS WITH YOU TO CHECK IT OUT!!! These cars are very unique, and it would be very easy to pull the wool over someone's eyes who really didn't have a clue.... I'll be happy to help you anyway I can. Perhaps we can meet up sometime soon. My wife works at 801 Franklin (restaurant downtown on Franklin), so I go there pretty often... maybe we can meet up and grab a bite one evening... I'll PM you my email/phone number... give me a call/email/message here.... anytime... :smile:

Oh yea.... you have LOTS of reading to do. This site is great, especially for specific stuff/questions via the forum.... but for general research and learning.... go to Turbo Regal Web Site. Go to the 'Resources' pull-down, and start with the 'FAQ', 'TR Basics', 'Spring Cleaning', and for fun, 'Performance Recipes'. :smile: Then get your thinking/learning cap on, and go to 'Technical Articles' and have at it!! Remember.... you are a sponge.... soak it up! :smile:

Welcome aboard john... i'm from Sylvania,al.. they are few guys in your area that has buicks. You go the huntsville dragway any. i think they are having test and tune on sunday's. You not to far from some other dragstrips in your area.

It's actually saturday now since chickenman took over the strip.

Lacey's Spring here.

aminga

come on over to section dragstrip on sudays,,, we will have test and tune for 5 more weeks then go to thur night.. hoping to have the gn back together in a week or 2.. got the aluminum heads going on.

come on over to section dragstrip on sudays,,, we will have test and tune for 5 more weeks then go to thur night.. hoping to have the gn back together in a week or 2.. got the aluminum heads going on.

How's the prep there. I've got some new toys coming in to install and I may do it.

track

they open 2 weeks ago. but the start of the test and tune will be good for a while.. i had a 1.51 with the d/radials and ran 6.80 letting off before the finish line.

RUN NOW!!! YOU FOOL, YOU FOOL!!! OK, just kidding. Welcome aboard and do a LOT of reading. There is a great deal of info on the boards and it will take you some time to figure out what you want to do with the car. Take your time and ask as many questions as you can. the guys here are mostly great but there are a few that will aggrivate you as a nu-b. I've been into the V6 buick since i was in HS so I understand. Good luck and have fun.

I was actually looking to buy one last year but got discouraged on the cars I went to look at. The owners had misrepresented thier cars. One was a local car and the owner said the body was in great shape with no rust, all original, and when I went to look at it had a dent in the rear 1/4 panel and the car had rust spots. Another car that looked ok from the pictures, I drove 200 miles to go look at only to find that the interior looked like it had been wiped down with a sticky bun and smelled as if a smokers convetion had been held in it.

This time around I plan on being more patient. I am going to write up a requirements list of what the car has to have and stick to it. If it takes a year to find the right cas so be it. Since I am only 3 hours from Bowling Green, I am going to go in May to see what good examples of these cars look like. So I can get a base line for my expectaions.

I did see a car listed on the forum in northern Mississippi that caught my eye.
It had 49K miles and tilted "show and go"
From the pictures it looked like good car.

Once you get one your hooked! There are alot of nice ones out there. Don't get discouraged, be patient and you will be rewarded with a beauty! You will see plenty of fine examples of clean turbo cars from mild to wild at Bowling Green. Its a blast there and you'll learn alot from all the Buick guys. Not many cars out there can get 20+ mpg and still spank out 11's in the quarter with the air on:D like these cars. Good luck with your search and post pics of your new ride when you get it.

Clean, low mile, 87 Turbo T For Sale!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

42k miles, stock inj., stock turbo, stock motor, and stock tranny. It has some basic bolt ons. Located in Douglas, Ga. Asking 13,000 obo!

CutterTurboT

Check out Cutter's thread posted in car's for sale. This car looks like a beauty! Low miles too

I saw that ad too. Unfortunatly I have to sell the 911 first.

I looked at the scanmaster on a few websites to see what its about.
I was hoping to download a users manual so I could familiarize myself with the engine parameters. Does anyone have a pdf copy of the manual they can send me.

I have had late 80's corvettes in the past and still have the factory service manuals. I am assuming the turbo buick ecm has pretty much the same inputs and functionality as the vettes.

I saw that ad too. Unfortunatly I have to sell the 911 first.

I looked at the scanmaster on a few websites to see what its about.
I was hoping to download a users manual so I could familiarize myself with the engine parameters. Does anyone have a pdf copy of the manual they can send me.

I have had late 80's corvettes in the past and still have the factory service manuals. I am assuming the turbo buick ecm has pretty much the same inputs and functionality as the vettes.

You can get the users manual at full throttle's tech forums. fullthrottletech.com

So it's short notice but there's a cruise at the DQ in Madison on HWY 72 the first wednesday of every month. (IE tonight).

Hey Thanks

What time does the cruise night start? Today is a bad day but
maybe next week. But for sure in April. My wife is taking the kids to Chicago for a month to vist family. I am gonna have free time, piece and quiet and actually be able to get some of the bigger projects around the house done.

Hey Thanks

What time does the cruise night start? Today is a bad day but
maybe next week. But for sure in April. My wife is taking the kids to Chicago for a month to vist family. I am gonna have free time, piece and quiet and actually be able to get some of the bigger projects around the house done.

6:30. Next one is April