Power Seat "Not Moving Back & Forth"

Larry L.

San Antonio, TX
84GN- Before I take out the seat I wanted to have all parts on hand, does anyone have any insight on fixing a power seat not moving back & forth? I can hear the Motor running but no movement, I suspect it's a broken gear. Also any leads on getting these parts would be much appreciated, Thx!
Larry

On mine it was the plastic coupler that goes between the seat motor and seat transmission g body has them on there web side I thought they were pretty pricey,but they are available push the seat button and look under the seat you will be able to see the motor turning and be able to determine whether the transmission is spinning or whether the coupler is broke.

Sometimes the case breaks also. The power seat transmission for the 84-86 is very, very common in the yards, it fits almost every metric chassis car from 80-86. Unfortunately almost all of them will break that coupler the first time it hits one of the stops. I walked around the yard with a drill battery and broke a couple as soon as they moved. The case is just as brittle. My 84 has a broken coupler and a broken case right now. Gbodyparts makes a rebuilt unit with a new case but its not cheap. Vintage parts has the couplers but they won't save you much money if you are only buying one thing. Gbodyparts has the couplers on ebay as well.

87 was the first year for the new design seat track with multiple motors instead of a transmission (at least in the regals).

Very good info ^^^ thanks! My 86 isn't working either and it is because the front half of the case is broken. Can't see spending $200+ for it..so I have yet to figure out what to do.

Thanks for the Replies, I have confirmed that it is in fact the Coupler, getting one on order now! $30 EWWW!

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_i...d=457&osCsid=47292f6b7a28867e25aab2c9ee52fa97

Here's the rebuilt transmission for it. If case breakage wasn't a major issue with them, someone wouldn't have taken the time and expense to remold a new case.

The only cheap way out of a broken case is junkyard parts, but unfortunately it may work forever or may break the first time you use it. They would be dirt cheap though at any u pull it. Print the gbodyparts application list off the above link before you go (that's what I did).

Plan on a new coupling:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=546&osCsid=47292f6b7a28867e25aab2c9ee52fa97

You can convert to 87 seat track but I'm pretty sure you need the 87 seat switch and stub harness to go with it, maybe even the seat side shield? Wiring under the carpet should be the same. Again, no one's gonna give one of those away either unless you score one in the junkyard.

I'm actually contemplating a junkyard case with a healthy layer of epoxy around it...then again i'm the king of half-assery. I pulled a working 87 style unit out of the yard last time but it had the window down and the feet were so rusty I could have removed it with a pry bar :eek: I think it qualifies as a "parts track". Hoping to find another 87 style next time I go.

If you'd rather fix it RIGHT, and never ever have to think about it again or be super conscious of your delicate power seat motor, then bite the bullet and get the new part.