Power Side Mirrors?

6=8

11 Year GN Owner/Operator
Has anyone taken it upon themselves to dump the cable operated remote mirros and replace them with electric/powered ones? If so, which GM model had similar styled side mirrors to the GN? Or was this an option on GN's? I don't know.

My passenger side mirror hasen't worked since 93, and now my drivers side "Joystick" has fallen into the door (Probably thanks to a careless car-wash attendant)

Rather than attempt to "Restore" such an old design, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to upgrade these? Seems the wiring would be very simple on the DS, just tap the PDLock or the PWindow circuit, and mount the control switch where the "Joystick" used the be.

The only real difficulty would be running the wires for the passenger side switch (Either a separate switch mounted in the dash, where the old joystick was, or routing them inside the DS door for a common switch setup.

Any thoughts?

You can fix the driver's door remote by pulling the door panel off -resetting the joy stick and tightening the allen wrench set screw. Would be nice to have the power mirrors. heated would be good too!!! :rolleyes: :D :)

I've heard the only car to offer power mirrors the same style as ours were mid '70's to early '80's Vettes.

I was thinking the same thing about a month ago, and on one of my junkyard trips, I picked up a set of power mirrors from an '89 Regal. The mirrors are a totally different shape and size, but I just wanted the motors that were in them and I will adapt them to my present housings. I plan to mount the switch in the old joystick location.

The best part about it is that the whole thing is self contained. I got the entire harness, and I only have to wire it to 12V and a ground. The hardest part is, of course, adapting the new motors into the old mirror housings. They will fit, but need a little altering, since I will be using my original mirror glass combined with the new motors. When I work all the kinks out, I'll let you know how it went.

Originally posted by gn1220
I've heard the only car to offer power mirrors the same style as ours were mid '70's to early '80's Vettes.

Yup disco vettes have them. ;)

Cool Deal V8 Kilr!

Take lots of photos!

okboo: The remote mirror joystick (PS) in my car is not stuck to one side, in fact, it is right in the middle. When I push it in any direction, there is no mirror movement... Just like those old choke cables, the outside cable "Jacket" is expanding rather than transfering the cable motion to the mirror. I could see lubricating it and getting some motion back, but if I'm going to tear everything apart for that, I would rather be installing something with a slightly higher "Cool" factor...

I'll start looking for vette mirrors! Thanks for that tip!

Another application to look at are the 80-90 RWD B-C-D-body Buicks, the full size models. They had a chrome electric mirror option and the switches for them bolt right in place of the remotes on our cars. A pretty slick set up. I just got done sending a set of these to the scrap yard so I dont know if you can transfer the motors into the sport mirror bodies but I think the way to go is to use the Corvette mirrors with the Regal bases. They are just bolted onto the bodies with 2 tork headed screws. Then all you have to do is attach the power feed wire to the accessory junction block on the LH side of the firewall behind the dash. No cutting and splicing involved. BTW the 81 and 82 Corvettes were the only years to use an electric sport mirror. Eric Fisher