Power to expect

Azhotair26

Ya, I'm new.
Hey guys, i was wondering what kind of power and ET's i could expect if i have the spearco front mount, walbro pump& hotwire, hooker 2 1/2, and a big mouth cold air intake, and a caspers thumb wheel chip all in an 84 Gn? thanks

Donlt take this the wrong way, but it all "depends". Here is my guess :cool: :

100-350HP / 200-350TQ
High 16 - low 12's

based on ;) ;
87 - 110 actane
Bad - good tune
5 - 26 PSI boost
Bad - Good motor
Bad - good trans / TC
Bad - good tires
Yadi - Yada :eek:

well its good to know that this combo can dip into the 12's thx. right now without the intercooler, i would guess im running mid to low 14's?? I havent taken it to the track yet. Im using this car as my daily driver too. Would i benefit more from a alky kit or an intercooler? Which one is better for reliability?

well its good to know that this combo can dip into the 12's thx. right now without the intercooler, i would guess im running mid to low 14's?? I havent taken it to the track yet. Im using this car as my daily driver too. Would i benefit more from a alky kit or an intercooler? Which one is better for reliability?

I highly doubt your combo can dip into the 12's. Sorry to say.
Search feature will be your best friend.

Define reliability .............. :biggrin:

100-350HP / 200-350TQ
High 16 - low 12's

Correction;
200 HP won't get you into the 12's
You will need about 335 RWHP with a 3700# car.
This may require 35PSI :eek: or 20 PSI , hard to say.

I would guestemate a calculated 35-40 PSI with your combo to have a chance, if all the planets are ligned up. :D

Bummer. well, heres another question then. What would be the draw backs of having an alky kit on a daily driver vs an intercooler? I really want to add more power, but i also do want to kill the reliability. But i guess im gonna have to have lots of $$$ to make that happen.:frown: From what i have been reading, I guess the only thing i would have to watch out for, if i were to get an alky kit, is when the alky tank is low. Is that really the only issue with alky? Would I really gain ~50 horses? for $450, it kinda seems too good to be true. Then on the other hand is the Intercooler. The sites that sell them are claiming that for ~$1100 i would see gains of about 60Hp. Is that true?

......... What would be the draw backs of having an alky kit on a daily driver vs an intercooler? I really want to add more power, but i also do want to kill the reliability. ..............

Alky will allow you to run much higher boost.
Hands down a top rated performance mod.

........ I guess the only thing i would have to watch out for, if i were to get an alky kit, is when the alky tank is low. Is that really the only issue with alky? Would I really gain ~50 horses? for $450, it kinda seems too good to be true. Then on the other hand is the Intercooler. The sites that sell them are claiming that for ~$1100 i would see gains of about 60Hp. Is that true?

Both are correct statements. 50HP is very realistic with Alky.
The alky kit from WWW.ALKYCONTROL.COM is the one to get IMHO.

Air/Air Intercooler very effective as well, but you probably will not run over 19 PSI with air/air IC on 93. Alky will get you to low 20PSI range.
Air/air and alky is the ultimate solution.

In the end, it all depends on your preference, budget, mechanical aptitude / capabilities.

Bummer. well, heres another question then. What would be the draw backs of having an alky kit on a daily driver vs an intercooler? I really want to add more power, but i also do want to kill the reliability. But i guess im gonna have to have lots of $$$ to make that happen.:frown: From what i have been reading, I guess the only thing i would have to watch out for, if i were to get an alky kit, is when the alky tank is low. Is that really the only issue with alky? Would I really gain ~50 horses? for $450, it kinda seems too good to be true. Then on the other hand is the Intercooler. The sites that sell them are claiming that for ~$1100 i would see gains of about 60Hp. Is that true?

Here is one answer. Nobody makes an intercooler kit for a Hot Air. You either find an old Speraco Kit (rare) or have one custom made. Expensive. The other option is a Razor Alky kit for ~$600. This allows you to turn up the boost on 93 octane in order to stop knock. Based on your sign. you need to convert to the 86/87 ECM and get a new chip buned for Alky from TT. The Razor kit includes a low alky warning light and you only time you use the Alky is when you get above 4.5 ibs boost. You also will need at an adj waste gate actuator, adj. fuel pressure gauge, knock gauge and a scan tool. Good luck-Brad

if it's available where you are, try a half a tank of E85/half a tank of 87 and tell me it doesn't feel like a 50hp increase on the butt dyno compared to straight 93 octane.

if it's available where you are, try a half a tank of E85/half a tank of 87 and tell me it doesn't feel like a 50hp increase on the butt dyno compared to straight 93 octane.

If you had KR and/or were running too rich, a 50% E85 mix will result in substantially more HP. If you don't have KR, not running too rich, and not increase boost, you will mot likely not be abe to measure a HP increase. :cool:
If the injector pulsewidth is constant (as in WOT), the car will go lean.

I am unsure if the thread starter is "ready" for a 50% E85 mix. :eek:
There is a bit of preperation to be done before I'll provide that level of advice. :D

So even if you buy the razor alky, an get that 50HP boost, your only at 250HP at the most in that situation. You've still got a far way to go until you want to run 12's, right?

My question is this, what else is on the list? Sure, that sounds great to be able to get all that boost from the razor alky, but how can you work to use that in your favor? What other upgrades are available to get the most out of your situation there??

(Confounded)

So even if you buy the razor alky, an get that 50HP boost, your only at 250HP at the most in that situation. You've still got a far way to go until you want to run 12's, right?
You are correct. ........ and Turbo6x2 has dome it without Alky! :cool:
Here is a good thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/206455-why-hotair-cars-slow.html

............. My question is this, what else is on the list? Sure, that sounds great to be able to get all that boost from the razor alky, but how can you work to use that in your favor? What other upgrades are available to get the most out of your situation there??

(Confounded)
Maybe Boost231 and Turbo6x2 will share some secrets since they have "been there done that". :cool:

i am very busy with class an dont have much time to post till the end of the month.anyways what are your goals? how much money do you have? you need to start with the basics. parts are becoming harder and harder to find but you can still get 11 sec hotair car if u really want to. i can give u a list a page long of what u need but post what your goals are. also post up your current mods. As far as the razors alky kit its a good buy. i love running 20 psi on the street. i know you can run more but im not that brave. just add alittle 110 to the tank and crank up the boost and timing when u are at the track. but like i said basics first. you cant run high boost with just alk you need a good pump,hotwire kit,regulator, etc.

Well, im looking to spend about $1,500 right now. i have found a site that says they sell the 84 intercooler set up, but i havent called them yet to make sure.

Air to Liquid Intercoolers

Also, so when u say that i am still at 200hp, are saying that my hooker exhaust, cold air intake, and chip, haven't made me any hp? i thought i would be at like 220hp or something like that.

As for my goal. My friend has a '96 vette with the Lt1 and i wanna be able to keep up. :)

My current mods are the hooker exhaust, ultrachip from caspers with the octal switch, Walbro pump and hotwire, cold air kit from buickgn.com, and this isn't really a mod but the engine was rebuilt 10,000mi before i bought the car(less than 8 months ago)

Well, im looking to spend about $1,500 right now. i have found a site that says they sell the 84 intercooler set up, but i havent called them yet to make sure.

Air to Liquid Intercoolers

Also, so when u say that i am still at 200hp, are saying that my hooker exhaust, cold air intake, and chip, haven't made me any hp? i thought i would be at like 220hp or something like that.

As for my goal. My friend has a '96 vette with the Lt1 and i wanna be able to keep up. :)

My current mods are the hooker exhaust, ultrachip from caspers with the octal switch, Walbro pump and hotwire, cold air kit from buickgn.com, and this isn't really a mod but the engine was rebuilt 10,000mi before i bought the car(less than 8 months ago)

First off, my advice to you is to spend part of the $1500 on a scantool first, some basic gauges, and possibly a WB.
If you have your heart set on the IC, and not have a scantool to tune, you will not be doing yourself any favors.

Secondly, without a scantool and proper re-tuning, you may have lost HP with the upgrades. The mods you have are going to show the benefit at "higher than stock" boost levels.
If you are still at stock boost levels, the mods most likely will not show an increase in performance.

You basicaly are still around 200 hp. The only mod you have made that affects hp is the cold air kit and that is around 5-10hp. The exhaust upgrade-2 1/2 Hooker is of no use with the stock downpipe and turbo elbow. The turbo elbow and downpipe are only 2 inches in diameter. Good luck- brad

where is the best place for me to get what i need to make the conversion to the newer ecm? and how much?

This all seems very strange because my car really does feel stronger than it did when i bought it.:confused:

Is there a forum on here that lists the essential upgrades and where to get them?

That was another thing i wanted to do first that i forgot to mention. (Get a full set of gauges.) I was thinking autometer gauges, and pods from gbodyparts.com?

The conversion requires an 86/87 ECM(Postons of Junkyard). 86/87 ECM chip. Use your old calpak chip in the new ECM. Get a MAT sensor conversion kit from Caspers or have a new TT chiped burned to ignore the MAT.

I listed a list of mods on the thread "Hot Air Swap Please". The only thing I would add is a power logger and wide band o2 sensor. Good luck- Brad

Aftermarket Passenger side header or Full set 250-550.00, Ta-33 turbo 750-900.00. Borrow a set of sticky tires. Bamm!!! Your 12 second capable With race fuel.

do i need both headers, or will the passenger one suffice? Can some one tell me the difference between the stock headers and the aftermarket? I know they flow better but does anyone have any pics? Im starting to wonder if my car really was stock when i bought it.