powerglide question

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
Is a built powerglide any good behind our engines? Found one local with the bop pattern for cheap and was just wandering for a future project. Anybody used one?

Probably not. The low 1st gear ratio (1.76) will require a lot of stall speed to allow the turbo to spool up. The 3 or 4 speed can use a tighter converter and have better lock up capabilities going down the track/road.

most cannot use a PG

unless you have ALOT of horse power, and light weight vehicle.
Chevota ran one very successfully , in toyota PU with 235 cu in V6.
and 3.25 gear!!!!!!!!! this was a an 8 sec vehicle!
but for most, its more difficult to get to work.

Ok. Just wandering. There is one local on CL for $100.00. It is stated as stock and works fine. I was just wandering if it was worth it to buy and build. Thanks for the input.

It would probably be good for a learning experience but it will cost you some money to build it. A rebuild kit is about $150. A replacement input shaft with a turbo spline is about $100. a good clutch hub and servo is about $80 and valvebody's are in the $200-300 range. You'll also want to make sure it has the 1.76 low gear planet instead of the 1.82 OEM 6 cyl planet. Oh, a deep pan is another $75.

Probably not. The low 1st gear ratio (1.76) will require a lot of stall speed to allow the turbo to spool up. The 3 or 4 speed can use a tighter converter and have better lock up capabilities going down the track/road.

Just want to clarify something here.

The trans has no effect on spool-up. The converter will spool the same on a glide vs a 200r4.

The difference will be the launch rpm and boost needed to get the car to 60' as well as a 3 or 4 speed. Since the 1st gear is around 1.80, the car would need more launch rpm and boost to eqaul the 60' of a 3 speed.

I have used a glide succesfully behind a twin turbo stage 2 car. The car weighed 3600# and 60' a 1.27 so it will work. Rear gear was 3.70

Thanks for clearing that up. It's pretty much what I was thinking in my head but I don't always translate the best when typing.

I have worked with hundreds of customers using Glides with Turbo cars and on a track only car with enough converter stall speed the car will get out and go.

however, one customer sticks out that I remember. He called me and said he was using a Powerglide and one of my 3800 stall conveters. He said with that stall the car would leave right but push through it in high gear at the shift change and by the 1000FT.
He switched over to a T-350 and I tightened his stall speed to a 3300-3400 and the car picked up about 3 tenths and a bunch of MPH.

It was about 1 1/2 years ago but I think it was a stock weight T-type with stock long block 3.8 with a cam, 70 series turbo, front mount and some other stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up. It's pretty much what I was thinking in my head but I don't always translate the best when typing.

I have worked with hundreds of customers using Glides with Turbo cars and on a track only car with enough converter stall speed the car will get out and go.

however, one customer sticks out that I remember. He called me and said he was using a Powerglide and one of my 3800 stall conveters. He said with that stall the car would leave right but push through it in high gear at the shift change and by the 1000FT.
He switched over to a T-350 and I tightened his stall speed to a 3300-3400 and the car picked up about 3 tenths and a bunch of MPH.

It was about 1 1/2 years ago but I think it was a stock weight T-type with stock long block 3.8 with a cam, 70 series turbo, front mount and some other stuff.

I wouldn't recommend running a glide in anything but a high powered car. Probably at least 800hp or more but over 1000 would be better. Anything less will have a hard time making enough power to make the car accelerate.

I have used a Rossler powerglide in the Opel (7.54@185) since 2000. Stage 2 twin 67's. At the time the car weighed #2700 w/ driver. 1:80 first gear. Best 60' = 1.18 with 4.10 gear and 32X14X15 tire. Dusty is very correct about spooling. I used a Neal Chance converter launching at 5,500 RPM.

Is a built powerglide any good behind our engines? Found one local with the bop pattern for cheap and was just wandering for a future project. Anybody used one?

If it is the BOP pattern, it is a ST300, not a PG. It is stronger, but there aren't any high performance parts availalble.

They did make a few BOP powerglides. I have one.

I've got a BOPC powerglide sitting in the shop right now that needs a new owner if you're interested.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 242
They did make a few BOP powerglides. I have one.

OK, I'm wrong. I used to build transmissions. I never have seen one.

The ST300 was available in BOP and dual mount patterns (like PG above). Pretty sure PG was not available in BOP pattern only.

Just make sure it is a PG, if you buy it.

If your making any real power to make a glide work.. then you need to have an updated case or at the very least the proper SFI bell housing.

Razor is correct. Do it right the first time. If you have the hp to effectively use a glide, you have enough power to break a std. glide. Back in the day, they used to blow up on the strip and throw stuff everywhere.
I have run a fully modified glide with the SFI bell housings & cases in several cars and engines combos. You need serious housepower or a light car to out perform a 3 or 4 gear race car. With a 4100# car (not a drag car) and a 760 hp engine, a 200 4R ran low 10's.
With 1400 hp and the glide, it ran low 10's. Big difference in speed, it stayed in low until past 1000 foot.
If you have time or experience or both. You can make it work by using the best convertor. Above was not for drag racing.
With a high slip convertor and the higher hp, you should be aware of the possibility of really high trans oil temp. Dangerous conditions may exist! I have seen temps of 340/365 F* and pressures of 125/150 psi out of the trans. Measure your oil temp and pressures. You can burst your oil hoses, if not rated for that temp and pressure!! Then if you do have a problem, get a convertor that will reduce the temps. It is possible.

By the way, does anyone run a trans blanket on their higher hp drag cars? A new thread?