Pre-spoolers

B

brewmeister7

I just read this great article about using a CO2 bottle and a nitrous solenoid and injector for instant (1 sec.)turbo spool up.Anybody got any feedback on this? Is it dangerous? Should be no different than a nitrous setup,right?

On the compressor or turbine side?

Since it's inert, I'm guessing the turbine side. Compressed air would do the same I'd think.

Pre-spooler

Yeah,it was on the turbine side.Can you get 800psi. of compressed air into a 10lb. bottle? I think thats why he chose the gas.Anyway,he activated it with a button on the shifter.Said it only took a second to get it up to speed.Only having to use short bursts lets the bottle last a while.The only thing left to find out was where EXACTLY to put the nozzle.This sounds like a good way to get my .82 turbine on the pipe a little quicker.

I too have read about C02 injection to spool up lazy turbines.
It was used on a TT300Z & a Dodge Colt I believe. They claimed it put out 2,000 psi from a full bottle & also had a "intercooling" effect. Supposedly it worked great but there was some arguement over shooting a gas that cold (WELL below freezing)
into a glowing hot turbo.
That surely would be very hard on parts I would think.
Maybe it could be introduced sooner in the system, like in the up pipe to warm the charge up a little:confused:
I've also read about using large smog pumps to spool the turbo up sooner. One particular vehicle was a 400 sbc that the owner said would not spool at all until 4,000rpm. After introducing a line from the pump to drivers side crossover (opposite turbo) & experamenting with diff. size pulleys. He claimes the turbo would spool well below 2,000 rpm. Quite impressive for such small efforts!
You can also buy an Air Amplifier ($100-150) to go before the carb. to help spool up. It looks like a fresh air duct with a K&N style filter at the end & uses compressed air to momentarilly create boost & "blow-thru" the carb. when you step on the gas.
This idea has loads of potential I believe. Not only would you be pushing compressed air thru the turbo, you could be pushing
COLD air thru the turbo. But you would need a source of compressed air.
There are a few other idea's kicked around out there too.
Like sequintial turbocharging:eek: , vortec tubes, belt/air driven turbo's & (yikes) even nitrious.
Where did you guys read the C02 artile anyway?