precision intercooler question

I just got mine a few days ago through Cal Hartline. I'm in Seattle and it cost $55.00 for shipping. The box weighed 41 pounds. I wouldn't call that not weighing much. Hope that helps.

hello; I'll be getting mine soon and I changed my mind in picking it up at Cottons. It was like 42lbs and like 30 something dollors to ship. But as far as space or open area. PTE has been making that IC for a long time so it should fit perfect. No open spaces or any other BS.
IBBY

hello peoples; I came on to say as when I got home my IC was at my door. I'm not opening it up tonight but maybe tomorrow. 1 day from Cottonland and I'm in Newton Mass. That was cool and "The Parts Guy" said it would be here today. Also the shipping label is 47 lbs at about $30.00 to my door from Agawham or Cottonland.
IBBY

I just weighed the IC with the scoop, it weighed 27 pounds.

hello; 27 lbs.!! There must be some heavy dense packing in there. When are you going to install it? I wonder what the stock one weighs? Also I heard the core was being changed but I wonder if the bracket got changed also? From a post here it was mentioned he had to elongate the mounting holes to get it straight. Pipes that is. And if that's the case I will be calling them.
I know to many questions for early in the morning but I feel good to daday.
IBBY

Well, I just finished installing the new IC today. The bracket fit was pretty good. It's wouldn't be a terrible idea to make the holes on the engine side of the bracket a bit bigger. I did a dry fit first and it lined up fairly good and didn't do this. It's straight in there and the new IC seems to have taken care of the slight knock I was seeing, though it could have been false knock with my old IC was kinda flopping around in there as the old bracket was kinda bent and wiggly. It took me about 2 hours but I was also doing other things besides that. My under car braces had to come off as they no longer fit with the IC.
All in all, the bracket fit fine and it went pretty smooth. The only problem I had was the IC is very close to the bar that it sits behind. I'm going to take a rad hose and cut it and wrap around the bar so if it hits, it won't do any damage.

hello; You're right on the ball with your install.
I have a couple of questions. About how much rad. coolant did you loose as I did open my IC up today and went thru the directions. It says to quickly line up and put the bolt in and it gives me the impression there's alot of coolant going to come out. Too bad about the braces not being able do be used. Was it a total no go or could it be done?
I'll be back probably with more questions as I might get to it this weekend.
Also I see your good at pics how about a couple of your new set up.
IBBY

Well, I just finished installing the new IC today. The bracket fit was pretty good. It's wouldn't be a terrible idea to make the holes on the engine side of the bracket a bit bigger. I did a dry fit first and it lined up fairly good and didn't do this. It's straight in there and the new IC seems to have taken care of the slight knock I was seeing, though it could have been false knock with my old IC was kinda flopping around in there as the old bracket was kinda bent and wiggly. It took me about 2 hours but I was also doing other things besides that. My under car braces had to come off as they no longer fit with the IC.
All in all, the bracket fit fine and it went pretty smooth. The only problem I had was the IC is very close to the bar that it sits behind. I'm going to take a rad hose and cut it and wrap around the bar so if it hits, it won't do any damage.

Please some installation pictures and a report once you drive it!

jlat, I figured I'd lost about a liter of coolant by the time I had gotten the old bolt taken out and the new one fitted with the spacer and everything together again. The braces are not going to be possible unless there are a set that are bent like a half moon design, you'll see once you get the IC in there.
I will not be able to take pic until sunday, as my wife went on a trip and took both cameras lol.

The car doesn't feel any different with the new IC as opposed to the old stock one. I didn't change it out hoping to get a ton of HP, I just wanted some new stuff in there plus my Razors kit will be going on in 2 weeks, so I wanted to make sure I had a solid foundation before I installed the alky kit. :)
The new IC did however take care of the slight knock issue. I have been doing some driving today and It's all 0's with a slight bump at shift but I'm sure that's false knock. Pulls good. I'm still waiting on my RJC boost controller, should be here within the week. I put a rad hose around the bottom bar with some zip ties so the IC cannot get metal on metal damage. After monkeying around, drilling out both sets of holes on the brackets may have gotten me a bit more space but it's a moot point now as it's straight in there. a Regal buddy came to see it yesterday and was impressed with the look and fit of the new IC. He was saying they are usually crooked lol.
I though the IC would hang down lower with the scoop but it's not much lower than factory and looks awesome from the front! my dump pipe is the lowest thing under my car, so if somethings gonna take a hit, it's going to be the DP first. I can't see it happening and my car has a lowered moog front end. Should be all rainbows and unicorns for me ;)

Like I said, pics will come sunday night, unless I can find another camera.

hello; TheGov. Would you call this install a one man job or did you have help? I'll be doing it alone.
IBBY

I did it myself. It's not to hard. I'd say the hardest part was holding the new IC in place and trying to thread the bolts. It's not a hard job and I usually get my mechanic friends to do most of my install stuff. I could have had it done in a hour if I wasn't actually working on customer stuff at the same time.

hello; I got to mess with the install late afternoon today. I drained the rad so there's only going to be a little coolant to deal with. Everything was going well until
I had to remove that last bolt near the oil pan. I was ready to quit till tomorrow and then it moved. It should be in tomorrow. The tape on the shroud is a good idea as I had the shroud on as was banging it a bit checking for vibration and in that area it would of vibrated. I also did remove the fan as I read someone didn't. But what do you think of the self tapping sheet metal screws holding the shroud on? I think they suck. Two that are a pain to get to came installed not straight and I can see why. How is putting those screw in when the cooler is in the car?
IBBY

I swapped out the screws for different ones I had at work. Those ones on the shroud were terrible and really hard to get off the shroud and put back on.

I swapped out the screws for different ones I had at work. Those ones on the shroud were terrible and really hard to get off the shroud and put back on.

hello; I'd like to see what you came up with as there's a very short thread depth. You must of tapped for different H/W.
IBBY

I am a autobody painter at a GM dealership. We have drawers with literally hundreds of different types of screws. I just found ones of similar depth and used them. no mods of any kind.

I am a autobody painter at a GM dealership. We have drawers with literally hundreds of different types of screws. I just found ones of similar depth and used them. no mods of any kind.

hello; I know you said you're going to post some install pics. So I'd like to see the H/W you came up with and if there a definite improvement I'd like to purchase some if it's possible. I friend use to do the same years ago and he had the same deal but that was long ago.
IBBY

They look the same, they are just a finer thread and were easier to install. You'd be able to get them at any hardware store for about $5 for 20 of them. Just take 1 to the store with you so you will know the length to get.

jlat, I figured I'd lost about a liter of coolant by the time I had gotten the old bolt taken out and the new one fitted with the spacer and everything together again. The braces are not going to be possible unless there are a set that are bent like a half moon design, you'll see once you get the IC in there.
I will not be able to take pic until sunday, as my wife went on a trip and took both cameras lol.

Nate, get rid of that spacer and it should fit perfect!

Also, did you get my text? Are we hitting the Pony tomorrow?