Preparing Gnx for sale

eric roozen

I would like to prepare my Gnx for sale time to let her go. I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on best to prep car, bumper fillers the originals have disintegrated I do have new old stock urethane replacements I own a grand national that I have replaced with fiberglass wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions should I replace with fiberglass or install urethane, fillers or sell them with car? I believe I should have the car painted I do have a factory repaint on the car now, and if I have to replace fillers, I should have the car sprayed at the same time. Any suggestions Gnx, number 180

I would guess it depends on how "original" y'all want to advertise/sell the car as.

There are plenty of bumper filler options out there. If you've already modded it in any way, I would go with SpoolFool's fiberglass fillers. They are the bomb. Perfectly fitting one piece rear, and perfectly fitting fronts. They are already a perfect match on the color, too.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions, because of the GNX status and the repaint. I'm just giving one man's opinion.

Good luck in your ownership/selling of a classic and very iconic vehicle. You're a lucky person to have one.

Last edited:
You have to understand the audience. The people willing to fork out $200K for a GNX want it ORIGINAL. They are buying the legend from the magazines, and people with that kind of money don't have time for nuance. It's either original and genuine, or it's not. If it's not, the price collapses.

So, Spoolfool's fillers are the bomb, but might not be the right product for this application. Accurate repops are in order.

You didn't provide any pictures, but I would highly recommend you get it to a reputable detailer and have a paint correction done before committing to a repaint. The kind of repaint a customer willing to pay $200K for a car will tolerate is going to run $30K+. We're talking full disassembly and strip it down to the metal. An Earl Scheib scuff and spray will severely reduce your sale price.

Good luck!

I remember 180 for sale in July 2009. must have been when you bought it and joined the forum here. When Gerry listed it for sale then, it had 23,055 miles shown. The original coilpak had the date code sticker of 6/8/87 and the Department cushion room sticker on the rear seat ash tray was applied upside down. The factory air intake system was intact with the air cleaner still retaining it's factory AC filter label with the date code. The repro air cleaner labels all have their deficiencies, none have a date code as that was done when car was built. I have a phone # for Gerry in my records if you find you need to contact him. pics below were from July 2009. I have a pic of the SPID label in my records, but it's not for me to post. A buyer will want a GNX as original as possible and even the original parts that may have been replaced.

Attachments

• air cleaner decal gnx180.jpg
    air cleaner decal gnx180.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 64
  • ashtray - drivers seat GNX180.JPG
    ashtray - drivers seat GNX180.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 69
I kept my GNX as orig as possible, but some stuff isn't avail,
Gbodyparts has oem style fillers, that look like orig, but are made with current materials,
so they look orig, but will last much longer, for 99% of most GN's spoolfool are great.
for lo mile/ GNX I'd use the ones from Brian,

You have to understand the audience. The people willing to fork out $200K for a GNX want it ORIGINAL. They are buying the legend from the magazines, and people with that kind of money don't have time for nuance. It's either original and genuine, or it's not. If it's not, the price collapses.

So, Spoolfool's fillers are the bomb, but might not be the right product for this application. Accurate repops are in order.

You didn't provide any pictures, but I would highly recommend you get it to a reputable detailer and have a paint correction done before committing to a repaint. The kind of repaint a customer willing to pay $200K for a car will tolerate is going to run $30K+. We're talking full disassembly and strip it down to the metal. An Earl Scheib scuff and spray will severely reduce your sale price.

Good luck!
Is Earl Scheib really still around?

I would sell the car as is or at least see what the offers are on the car. I would not paint the car again. It sucks that the car was already painted. A car is only original once. Most people that buy these cars want them untouched. You might get lucky and find someone that would pay good money for it and do resto themselves. Good luck

"I'LL PAINT ANY CAR, ANY COLOR FOR ONLY NINETEEN NINETY FIVE!"
"THATS YOUR CAR, YOUR COLOR FOR ONLY NINETEEN NINETY FIVE!"
WE'VE GOT 27 CHICAGOLAND LOCATIONS TO PAINT YOUR CAR, YOUR COLOR, FOR ONLY NINETEEN NINETY FIVE!
I'M EARL SCHEIB, AND YOU'VE GOT MY NAME ON IT!
Repeat every 15 minutes, during prime time, on: WGN (world's greatest newspaper, Chicago Sun Times), WLS (worlds largest store, Sears Roebuck& co.), WBBM, and WFLD (Marshall Fields)
TIMINATOR

They were actually pretty good(LOL), they didn't get much paint on the trim, windows, or bumpers....
TIMINATOR

They were actually pretty good(LOL), they didn't get much paint on the trim, windows, or bumpers....
TIMINATOR
Tim, by the time I got my Driver's License in AZ, in 1976, he was up to $99.95.

The very last ad on TV I saw was $129.95 in around 1984.

Then, they went dark with advertising. But they are around, there's still one on Cave Creek and about Mountain View here in town that I know of. I think Mike from TA is aware of another that still actually does good work at reasonable prices.

Scheib is all franchises. Any shop is all about the manager/owner.

I've seen so many well known "GOOD" shops out there fuck people right in the heart....

Last edited:
I forgot the line: "If you're within the sound of my voice." Preceeding the 27 Chicagoland locations.
I got my license in 1968.
Also, I forgot about your vocation, do you know where to source taillight retaining speednuts for our Buicks? I tried several bodyshop suppliers, Napa, Zone,
O' smileys, and the AVECO catalogue so far.
TIMINATOR

I forgot the line: "If you're within the sound of my voice." Preceeding the 27 Chicagoland locations.
I got my license in 1968.
Also, I forgot about your vocation, do you know where to source taillight retaining speednuts for our Buicks? I tried several bodyshop suppliers, Napa, Zone,
O' smileys, and the AVECO catalogue so far.
TIMINATOR
Look at your original post on them. Several suggestions there. Check out the Dodge ones.