prime oil pump

gn79

I need to know what can I use to prime the oil pump. I have the cam sensor off and what do I use? I have read some were how to do it, but I dont know what tool I need. Can some one please help me out. Thanks.

I bet you can find one from just about any speed shop.

I just made one from a piece of steel rod and a piece of tube

BTW, if you mean prime the engine with oil - it is an engine oil priming shaft.

If you are talking about priming the oil pump after the pump has been assembled (before hand they say to pack the pump with Vaseline) just remove one of the oil cooler lines and pour oil in the line. I do not believe that it is necessary to do either as the oil pump will suck the oil out of the pan and begin the build pressure within three seconds in my experience.

If your priming the oil pump...you can use a small block Chevy priming tool. Spin it up until you have oil pressure and you will be fine.

Originally posted by bwallace
If your priming the oil pump...you can use a small block Chevy priming tool. Spin it up until you have oil pressure and you will be fine.

or your drill starts smoking:p

thanks everyone. I am primeing the oil pump so that I can break in a cam. I want to build up the oil pressure and then start it up to bening the cam break in. Sorry I should have been more clear.

I didn't feel like making ANOTHER trip to the store. I cut the handle off longest screwdriver I had and viola!