Priming Oil System

Quietman

I have had fairly good luck priming the turbo and newer engines by packing the oil pump with Vaseline, but only if the engine is disassembled so you can pack the front cover passages as well as the pump itself.

One time my GN lost prime due to changing some parts. I packed the oil pump with the engine in place and it didn’t work. Out of desperation I came up with a method I have not seen anywhere.

Tools needed: Air compressor with a pressure regulator set to 20 lbs. If you don’t have a regulator, but have a large tank, build up 20 lbs and shut off the compressor. Next you need a small blow gun and 1 inch long piece of rubber hose. If you can’t find a piece of hose the right diameter to create a seal between the tip of the blow gun and the dipstick tube, wrap some electrical tape around the tip of the blow gun to make a seal with the dipstick tube.

First disconnect the orange wire next to the battery so the engine can’t start. Remove the dipstick and insert the blowgun into the tube firmly. Have a friend turn the key and watch the oil pressure gauge. Have him or her turn the key and crank the engine the exact instant you pressurize the pool of oil in the pan. In 2 or 3 seconds you should have primed the pump by forcing oil up the pickup tube.

Perhaps less than 20 lbs will work but I wanted instant prime and I released the pressure quickly. I have not damaged any seals or gaskets at 20 lbs. I have tried it several times without packing the pump or spinning the distributer shaft. Appreciate your comments.

I have primed an engine with some different methods, in or out of the car.

1. It is simple if it is an inter-cooled car, and the oil cooler lines are in place. Disconnect the oil cooler line from the radiator and pour oil into it until it is full, then run the prime motor/drill. It may need a second fill to prime.

2. If the bypass spring and plunger is removed, I have been able to force enough vasoline into the pump for it to prime.

3. With the engine on a stand, I have an oil cooler adapter and hoses that I install, and have a union to join these hoses. Fill both hoses with oil, then connect them together, and it will develop pressure.

Now I can add No. 4 to my list, thanks! :)

If i am not in a hurry i gravity feed the pump through the turbo feed line.... i rigged up a reservoir out of a plastic CD spool [100pack CDRs] and a -4AN 90 degree fitting i had laying around....i just fill it up set it on top of the turbo and let it go while i do other work....

aaron

I have had fairly good luck priming the turbo and newer engines by packing the oil pump with Vaseline, but only if the engine is disassembled so you can pack the front cover passages as well as the pump itself.
Very Interested In this method...I replaced my timing cover but put on the same oil pump I previously had on(aftermarket doorman). I packed the pump with Vaseline, and cranked the motor but no pressure built up. So I began to drill the drive shaft..again no oil pressure but I think this is because the drill I was using was not very powerful and the tool I used to prime didnt fit right and slid off constantly...will this work? Thanks in advance

One time my GN lost prime due to changing some parts. I packed the oil pump with the engine in place and it didn’t work. Out of desperation I came up with a method I have not seen anywhere.

Tools needed: Air compressor with a pressure regulator set to 20 lbs. If you don’t have a regulator, but have a large tank, build up 20 lbs and shut off the compressor. Next you need a small blow gun and 1 inch long piece of rubber hose. If you can’t find a piece of hose the right diameter to create a seal between the tip of the blow gun and the dipstick tube, wrap some electrical tape around the tip of the blow gun to make a seal with the dipstick tube.

First disconnect the orange wire next to the battery so the engine can’t start. Remove the dipstick and insert the blowgun into the tube firmly. Have a friend turn the key and watch the oil pressure gauge. Have him or her turn the key and crank the engine the exact instant you pressurize the pool of oil in the pan. In 2 or 3 seconds you should have primed the pump by forcing oil up the pickup tube.

Perhaps less than 20 lbs will work but I wanted instant prime and I released the pressure quickly. I have not damaged any seals or gaskets at 20 lbs. I have tried it several times without packing the pump or spinning the distributer shaft. Appreciate your comments.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Very Interested In this method...I replaced my timing cover but put on the same oil pump I previously had on(aftermarket doorman). I packed the pump with Vaseline, and cranked the motor but no pressure built up. So I began to drill the drive shaft..again no oil pressure but I think this is because the drill I was using was not very powerful and the tool I used to prime didnt fit right and slid off constantly...will this work? Thanks in advance

Sorry I kind of messed that up.. But anyways lol