Pro-torque- no W.O.T. l/u?

1 RARE T

My new Pro- Torque convertor apparantly will not lock at W.O.T.

Has anyone heard of this and could explain why?

No good to me at the track.:mad:

is it a lock up converter?

is the 4 pin connector connected to the trans on driverside ?

do you have lockup at cruise?
if yes than

is your chip designed not to lock up at WOT? , some dont
if converter is a L/U and chip is programmmed to not lock up ,that might be the answer (turbotweak chips can have this feature )

at steady cruise speed above (45?) you should have lockup even if chip isnt designed to, depressing brake pedal slightly should cause it to unlock and rpms should rise while depressed, if not
check the white switch under the dash in front of the brake pedal , it may have popped back (out of adjustment ) leaving the switch in the open postion ( lockup disconnected),

it may be the TCC solenoid or 4th gear switch in the trans

Originally posted by 1 rare t
My new Pro- Torque convertor apparantly will not lock at W.O.T.

Has anyone heard of this and could explain why?

No good to me at the track.:mad:

Did you just put it in?

Will it lock at part throttle?

Sorry, guess I should have told the whole story.

I upgrades the stock convertor because it seemed to be the only thing stopping me from running that desired 11 sec. pass.

Went to a 3000-3200 stall l/u convertor from a great vendor.

Went to the track and ran 12.1 again all day.

Nothing changed except 60 ft. times came down.

Found out that Protorque convertors do not lock at Wot. even with a manual switch.

This was after calling the vendor and them asking Protorque.

Normal driving it locks as usual and works great.

I.M.O., the convertor is useless for a car with the H.P. level of mine because I need the convertor to lock at the track.

I was told it is some fluid-coupling sort of reason which I don't understand.

This was NOT a cheap convertor. $700!

my current chips are by eric marshall and he reccommended not to have WOT LU in the chip , i had a stock trans and didnt want to hurt it ,
well my trans didnt hold up anyway , i broke the D5 torque converter on launch. so decided on a rebuild to the trans was overdue with 128k mi

Im now patiently waiting on my trans to be rebuilt (should be back in next week) and with my next set of mods ready and expecting it to be capable of mid-high 11s i decided to go with a Hi-pro rebuild , decided not to put a restalled 12"d5 in front of an expensive rebuild and wanted a converter that could take some abuse with some stall around 2800-3000 and decided to go with the protorqe 10.5 lu (not a cheap unit)
what model PT did you get ? was it the 10.5 LUHS
i was told it is a lockup going in my trans , there was no mention that it wouldnt lock on WOT :confused:
ill know soon

Originally posted by 1 rare t

I.M.O., the convertor is useless for a car with the H.P. level of mine because I need the convertor to lock at the track.

This was NOT a cheap convertor. $700!

I hear ya.

the converter dont know if your wot or not ..

if its sold as a l/u converter then it should lock up ... if not then they are false advertising .. I'd get a refund

sounds like they forgot the vaseline

that is simply not true.whoever told you that is not being honest.connect the top right and top left pins of the aldl and try to lock it up at wot.if it dont work the convertor is bad .end of story(providing the thing locks properly at lower rpms.as time progresses i intend to invest in convertor equiptment.im sick and tired of big name companies selling vendors things that dont do what they are supposed to and then making us look like we dont know what we are talking about.look at norbs and nearing /3800 stall that has no efficiency.obviously this 3800 convertor has not been properly researched by tcs or it would perform.all others have proven to be winners in regards to proper stall/torque ratio drop and coupling efficiency except for this model.the vehicles that were prescribed 3800 stall at 15 psi would have worked super if the convertors efficiency was correct beyond the stall speed rating.i may be going out on a limb here but at the risk of not being truthful to those who trust us enough to purchase merchandise i must say that .the 2800/3000/3200/3400/and 3600 never gave us such complaints and customer feedback proved this to a certain extent.if a vehicle leaves at 3800 itll fly with a 92 plus percent rate of hydraulic coupling before being locked.period .there is no magical secrets or "doumani"(translation smokescreen)to be penetrated before the operational principles of the convertor are understood as pertaining to this case.im sorry for those who had to make the returns and not get honest or speedy service on the convertors.for that im responsible as i didnt want to ride those who i buy from.i had an instance with protorque with a 87gn /th400 convertor and although the stall speed was out to lunch joe rivera immediately took care of it for the customer.im sure he will help you although you are in canada and from my perspective im sure he wouldnt tell you that it doesnt lock up at wot.and if he does ,ill call him and go over it with him if you dont find it to be counterproductive ,or me interfering with your business.

My 3200 stall 10" Protorque locks up WOT manually and with the chip that is programmable Extender Extreme.

I doubt it is factory recommended to do so, but a "few" runs a year so why not. ;) :)

First, let me just say that the vendor had offered to send me a new convetor after this happened and I declined for the time being because the car is away for the winter.

We agreed to address it in the spring. They're not going anywhere. Some may think that was foulish but that's o.k.

This post was more a need to know than anything else.

Thanks for the offer Chris but maybe I should just shut the hell up now.

:eek:

Originally posted by chris718
that is simply not true.whoever told you that is not being honest.connect the top right and top left pins of the aldl and try to lock it up at wot.if it dont work the convertor is bad .end of story

Agreed

not a vendors fault tho if the converter dont lock ... it would be the manf problem

does anyone make a lock-up for a 200 that actually works anymore :confused:

I havent seen any ...9-11's use to work good ... must get their parts from china now tho :(

Originally posted by chris718
as time progresses i intend to invest in convertor equiptment.im sick and tired of big name companies selling vendors things that dont do what they are supposed to and then making us look like we dont know what we are talking about.

sounds like a winner there

hope you can swing it Chris .. I have no idea what to recomend to customers of mine anymore that need a lock-up converter for a 200 :confused:

gotta toss your tranny a thumbs up also ... the one in Nearings car is the first of yours I've had experience with and it works great

red how fast has nearing been with it so far?tell him to send a pic for the manual also.

I believe 10.80's on the tranny with art carr converter

:mad: with the 9-11

If he dont respond I'll tell him your looking for him :)