Problem Last Night

Gnology

History...recent rebuild on a 2004r. 10 second car shifting has been great, fluid looks great, no noises, no leaks, no issues...until last night. Driving home car was fine, chirping gears, highway driving home was fine. I got off the interstate and crusing at about 30 mph, the car just stopped pulling. It was like someone flipped a switch and all of a sudden no pull from the trans. Engine revs in all gears, Trans wasn't hot, sat for an hour, switched thru the gears and nothing, still revs in all gears.

Ideas?

TIA,
Shawn

Compare the fluid level with the engine on and off. If the level doesn't drop any when the engine is started then you have a broken pump rotor. It's very common with aftermarket rotors.

Compare the fluid level with the engine on and off. If the level doesn't drop any when the engine is started then you have a broken pump rotor. It's very common with aftermarket rotors.

No drop. So, broken pump rotor? Sorry for the questions but trans are obviously not my specialty. How invasive is this? Do I just have the rotor replaced or trans rebuild? Suggestions and possible cost would be helpful too.

TIA.

Shawn

Yep, most likely the rotor. Good thing is it's usually a clean break with no collateral damage to the torque converter hub. It does, however, hurt the aluminum pump housings so a pump swap should do it.

If you have a brand new or recently rebuilt converter, it would also be a good idea to double check the hub runout to be sure it didn't contribute to the failure.

Is this something a average to better mechanic with no trans experience can do? If not, how much should this cost?

Thanks.

If it's the pump it's not too difficult. I'd buy one already set up. The reason thy usually fail is because they weren't setup properly or the rings fail.

Had a couple of people say it may be the forward drum. How can I diagnose this between pump and drum? (before teardown)

TIA