Problem with Lock-up

aprobst116

I have an 87 GN with 104k on the speedo and rebuilt 200-4r. I recently had a 3000 stall TC installed. The car runs well until the motor heats up to anywhere between 205-215 degrees. Then, whamo (that's a technical term). When I come to a red light the tranny does not come out of lock-up and the car stalls. I put the car into park, start the car, shift into drive and it stalls again. We play this game a few more times until I'm able to start it, shift it and drive off. But, once I'm able to do that it short shifts from 1st to either 3rd or OD. I limp it home, let it cool down and then it runs fine. Any clues?

TCC valve is getting stuck in its bore. Pull pan and check for stuck or sticking valve in pump body. You may be getting second starts also combined with a bad TCC solenoid would cause those symptoms.

Lockup solenoids are very common to fail in these trans. Basically when it heats up and as soon as you get into 2nd gear it is stuck in lockup until you basically come to a complete stop. Lockup shouldnt happen until 2nd gear, but when slowing down sometimes it wont go back into 1st until you are about at a stock. Solenoids are cheap and easy to replace and if you find it to be the original one then that is likely your problem.