Progression of knock reduction solutions

Chris996

is there a standard operating procedure for dealing with detonation on a forced induction engine?

I've purchased a very capable 1987 Turbo T and have just begun to stretch her legs. I'd like to start raising boost but not sure how to deal with any knock. In other words, if I raise psi from 18 to 22 and begin to see some timing retard on the scan master, would I address that through fuel adjustments or alcohol adjustment?

Basically if your fuel system and pump are up to snuff then KR is controlled with an alky kit or race fuel when turning up the wick

SOP?..if it knocks its probably too late to do anything about it ..get your fooot off the accelerator and lower boost or add alky

depends on how hard its being pushed and what caused the knock

93 alky and 22 psi shouldnt be an issue if the alky pump is working ,\
if your fuel (the air fuel ratio or O2mv if on a narrowband sensor) is good now at 18psi (its most likely rich at 18psi if you're on alky and have correct chip) and you increase boost your alky if its progressive will also increase slightly with the boost rise
colder weather needs more fuel and better to add it beforehand and find yourself rich than to find it lean and end up with headgaskets going south

goto the alky forum and read the sticky ..tuning 101
http://turbobuick.com/threads/tuning-the-alkycontrol-kit.147348/

Last edited:
I believe I did a pretty poor job of asking my question. Let me try again

I am new to forced induction engines. I have experience with high revving inline 4 motorcycle engines from my roadracing days and more recently 2 stroke outboards. None of these engine types let me make such large power alterations on the fly, like I can with this little V6.

I recently purchased a 1987 Turbo T from Dan SS2471. I believe Pacecarta Pauly has first hand knowledge of the set up . I am just starting to get accustomed to her power wise and am beginning to make changes. She will be a street car primarily and set up running 18 psi. I've played around raising the boost and am starting to see some small timing retard on the scanmaster. I'm still seeing 800+ O2mv

I'm not sure what is the preferred method to address detonation as it seems I have the ability to alter fuel, timing and alky.

FWIW, here is how she is setup...

• Rebuilt .030 over stock engine.
  • Turbonetics CPT-44BB .63ex - large journal 3" in / 2" out
  • Champion heads and intake
  • TA race headers, mild steel with ceramic coating
  • Cottons FMIC
  • Accufab plenum and 70mm KB throttle body combo
  • RJC power plate
  • 3" DP
  • ATR dual 3” stainless exhaust with Pitbull mufflers
  • external wastegate (Racegate)
  • New Alkycontrol single nozzle alky setup
  • MSBC (Exile) electronic boost controller
  • 60# injectors
  • Walbro 340 "hotwired" fuel pump
  • 3" solid MAF pipe
  • Chrome MAF pipe
  • MAF translator with 3” MAF
  • I believe she also has a Turbo Tweak 5.7 alky chip

Hi chris didnt recognize your screen name , you have dans car (murphs old red car )
knock in third gear is what you want to avoid , knock on shift is usually driveline not combustion related

Make sure you are seeing solid pressure reading from both fuel systems. 1 to 1 for gasoline at the regulator.

There is a test kit for the alky set up from Razor that will verify all is good with your alky system while standing still. Its easier than trying to haul ass and watch a gauge at the same time.

To address knock, look at alky first.

Make sure you are seeing solid pressure reading from both fuel systems. 1 to 1 for gasoline at the regulator.

There is a test kit for the alky set up from Razor that will verify all is good with your alky system while standing still. Its easier than trying to haul ass and watch a gauge at the same time.

Thank you. Your last sentence is my question in a nutshell

Thank you. Your last sentence is my question in a nutshell

Will this test kit work with the SMC alky system as well?

no the smc has a built in map on their progressive kit
for smc you need a variable air supply to the controller to test

With your build you should have a Powerlogger . It would be much easier to diagnose any problems and you would know exactly when you are getting knock . Maybe Santa will get you one for Christmas .
Also put your car mods in your signature that way you don't have to enter them every time . It helps us help you !

Raise the boost slowly and log the results. It's a lot safer to make small adjustments after reviewing the logs.