Propane Dyno Results

Downtown

I did some back to back dyno runs today with the Jay Carter prototype propane kit I have been running. The car would not make power over 4400 RPM due to some unrelated issues, so neither run was optimum.

Both runs were with 93 octane pump gas, Jay Carter 93 octane street chip. Only difference was turning on the propane and turning up the boost. FP was at 45 lbs, O2's in the 820's, EGT's in the 1530's for both runs.

Base run @18 lbs of boost: 260.5 HP/310.8 ft-lbs torque
Propane run @23.5 lbs of boost: 280.1 HP/340.7 ft-lbs torque

TurboLink showed no knock counts on either run. I think I know the problem and hope to make some more pulls in the next week or two.

I like this kind of a thread! :)

Yes there must be soom tuning issues, as I don't see the increase in HP as the boost increases. As you know the HP increase should be about 10-12 hp per each pound added.

Also next time it would be great if you could list mods, the type of dyno, and what you think the problems are.

Speaking of 'dyno threads'- here is an interesting link for you guys that like to see Dyno results, and for all you guys that have doubts about the ability of alchy injection to perform like 110 octane would, check out this link...

http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002326.html

I'm still waiting for track results, and a good dyno test that shows the power adding possibilities of propane injection. Don't get me wrong, as I use propane injection and like it. I won't know until the spring what gains it is responsible for...

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
I like this kind of a thread! :)

Yes there must be soom tuning issues, as I don't see the increase in HP as the boost increases. As you know the HP increase should be about 10-12 hp per each pound added.

Also next time it would be great if you could list mods, the type of dyno, and what you think the problems are.

I'm still waiting for track results, and a good dyno test that shows the power adding possibilities of propane injection.

On my car I see the kind of HP increases (based on MPH at the track) you mention when I go from lower boost, pump gas and a street chip to higher boost, race gas and a race chip. I did this testing with a 93 octane street chip and changed nothing from the non-propane base run except boost. I was also a little rich on all the runs and the HP/Torque figures peaked at around 4300 RPM.

My setup is a PT-51, 50 lb injectors, THDP, big neck stock intercooler, stock 100,000 mile long block. My dyno guy said he saw the same drop off in power at about the same RPM on a supercharged Mustang. They changed plugs and wires and it picked up almost 100 HP. I don't think I will have as dramatic results, but I'm getting new plugs and wires. I want to say it was a DynoJet dyno, but I really don't remember.

Track testing showed an increase of almost 3 MPH. Everyone asks about ET's, but remember that is a function of traction. I did not work on launches during my track testing, but the MPH increase tells you it's making more HP.

Yes Kenny the difference between 100 mph and 105 mph is about 45 HP. (and almost 7 tenths). I agree mph is the best way to guage HP.

Here is a hgandy chart for reference. It's been posted recently...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/lubrant.html

For plugs I like the 43's gapped at .033 (high boost)

Coil packs are always suspected....

I've cheaped out with plug wires. That was a mistake....

Given the mods, I would say you have at least another 30 horsies hiding in there...

Good luck, I can't wait for the results!!!

Good info Kenny- I will be providing some track testing results in the next two weeks, weather and schedule permitting.

Joe

Is 20/30 a normal increase for 5.5 psi of boost?
Doenst seem like much to me, but then again im used to V-8, so 5.5 is alot for me.

Originally posted by Downtown
On my car I see the kind of HP increases (based on MPH at the track) you mention when I go from lower boost, pump gas and a street chip to higher boost, race gas and a race chip. I did this testing with a 93 octane street chip and changed nothing from the non-propane base run except boost. I was also a little rich on all the runs and the HP/Torque figures peaked at around 4300 RPM.

My setup is a PT-51, 50 lb injectors, THDP, big neck stock intercooler, stock 100,000 mile long block. My dyno guy said he saw the same drop off in power at about the same RPM on a supercharged Mustang. They changed plugs and wires and it picked up almost 100 HP. I don't think I will have as dramatic results, but I'm getting new plugs and wires. I want to say it was a DynoJet dyno, but I really don't remember.

Track testing showed an increase of almost 3 MPH. Everyone asks about ET's, but remember that is a function of traction. I did not work on launches during my track testing, but the MPH increase tells you it's making more HP.

- What is your best ET/MPH on the Pro-Pane Kit? & your elevation?

20hp & 30ft/lbs is good for no timing increases and just a 5.5psi bump. With a 100 octane chip and another psi or 2 and this thing would really start to hum... That and fixing your "problem".

Personally, I'd expect more out of a '51 and some 50s. But, it could be your elevation. JMO.

Thanks for the effort! :D

Originally posted by Mr. T
- What is your best ET/MPH on the Pro-Pane Kit? & your elevation?

20hp & 30ft/lbs is good for no timing increases and just a 5.5psi bump. With a 100 octane chip and another psi or 2 and this thing would really start to hum... That and fixing your "problem".

Personally, I'd expect more out of a '51 and some 50s. But, it could be your elevation. JMO.>>

Thanks for the effort! :D

I really hate to post ET's when discussing my propane testing because I never worked on getting good launches. My 60' times were usually about 2/10th's slower than my best efforts during track testing. With that said, I can run pretty consistant 12.40's at around 106 MPH with propane.

I think the problem is ignition related and am waiting on some parts. I should have everything the first of next week and will then head back to the dyno.

I am hoping the low HP/torque is more related to the fact it quit making power at 4300 RPM. We are pretty close to sea level here in Houston.

I will post after my next dyno runs.